AVG install possibilities

aitch2 10:08 05 Aug 07

Good morning all. Have removed Norton from my computer after so many problems, so I want to download 'AVG free'
Before I do, should I do scans with Ad-aware and Spybot, as well as a disc cleanup before the download? I have followed some previous threads regarding installation problems with AVG so should I, 'SAVE' the download file first, or choose 'RUN' Thanks for any help.
Aitch

howard64 10:23 05 Aug 07

save it and then install from your hard drive. I have never had any probs with avg.

birdface 11:18 05 Aug 07

Hi.Did you use Norton Removal Tool.It's about the only way to delete it from your computer,I would just run C Cleaner first, And then download AVG.Once you have downloaded AVG you can run any scans that you think are required.If you only have Ad-aware and Spybot,You could do with a decent Spyware Program,Avg Anti-Spyware, or A Squared.I am sure someone will let you know of a better one. Ad-aware is not one that I would pick,But I am sure that there are a lot of folk that would not agree.

aitch2 11:39 05 Aug 07

Hi Buteman, Howard64,
Thanks for the replies,
I used add/remove for the Norton, so did not use the removal tool. However, did a CHKDSK yesterday for other problems Norton had caused. I have installed AVG and currently its doing a scan on the main computer. So far everything appears ok, but to pick up your point on the Norton Removal Tool should I go back to square one and go through everything again,or should I just run the removal tool to clear up any remnants of Norton?
Aitch

birdface 12:22 05 Aug 07

Just run the removal tool.I think there is a new one out.Google it see what you get.After running it .Go to search ,Type in Norton,Or Symantec,And delete what is left.Then run c Cleaner again,And that should clear the remnants from your computer.

aitch2 13:36 05 Aug 07

Will give it a go.Thanks for the help.
Aitch

aitch2 13:36 05 Aug 07

Will give it a go.Thanks for the help.
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5