AVG Free Upgrade

thumbscrew 10:43 01 Jan 09

Anyone tried to upgrade their free AVG today? I had an on-screen warning that I had too, downloaded the file but it won't open???

Technotiger 11:26 01 Jan 09

My AVG Free is set to update automatically - no problems here, fully up-to-date.

provider 2 11:34 01 Jan 09

Has this anything to do with it?

click here=

Sea Urchin 11:42 01 Jan 09

You are presumably still using AVG 7.5 - if so it's easier to download 8.0 from here

click here

and during installing it will remove 7.5 for you.

thumbscrew 12:03 01 Jan 09

Thanks all, each time I try to upgrade to 8.0 antispyware I get the same thing...won't open

provider 2 12:05 01 Jan 09

This is the procedure recommended by AVG. Did you follow this or did you install by some other method?

click here

fullyfitted 12:09 01 Jan 09

thumbscrew,
I know its not much help or comfort but I've just downloaded and installed V 8 over V 7.5 with no problem,

FF

thumbscrew 12:09 01 Jan 09

Thanks provider, that's the anti-virus but I don't use that, I've got others...I'm trying to upgrade the antispyware.

Sea Urchin 12:09 01 Jan 09

If you are using the old AVG AntiSpyware then that program is no longer valid - see provider 2's link above. You need to uninstall that via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and then download and install AVG 8.0 as per my previous link. This new program also contains an anti-spyware element.

Sea Urchin 12:11 01 Jan 09

OK just seen your last post - you cannot upgrade AVG AntiSpyware - there is no such program. You say you've got otherS (referring to AntiVirus) but you should only have one.

thumbscrew 12:23 01 Jan 09

Thanks again, I'm completely confused re Sea Urchin's post.."No such program as AVG Antispyware". I've had it for a long time,it's on my screen now listed as AVG Antispyware, when I click, up comes the Antispyware screen with section for quick scan/full scan etc and this is the one telling me there's an upgrade that I can't open. When I attemped to download the AVG Anti-virus I had a message half way through warning me that other Antivirus programs were already installed. Quite correct as I've got Bullguard. Hope this is not too confusing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…