AVG free or upgrade do I need it?

golfpro 07:00 18 Apr 08

I have been using AVG free 7.5 version for the last three years now, so far without any problems although I am very careful with my emails plus what I download and in my surfing.
Over the last couple of weeks though I've had messages from AVG asking if I want to upgrade to the 8.0 version, but at 59 dollars + it seems quite a lot of money. So, what should I do: Stay with what I've got, upgrade and fork out the money (has anyone done this), or look for some other AV program.

g0slp 07:22 18 Apr 08

FWIW, I'll be sticking with the Free version unless it lets me down or it ceases to be...

Technotiger 07:32 18 Apr 08

Stay with the free version, same as myself!

skidzy 07:49 18 Apr 08

For reference and all you need to stay clean and secure click here

cocteau48 08:34 18 Apr 08

As per skidzy's excellent link nearly everything offered by AVG 8.0 is available in freeware form.
IMHO what you do find is that when you allow one company to combine everything into a single "security
suite" it tends to become over bloated and has the effect of pouring a tub of treacle over your OS.

penny 09:42 18 Apr 08

Hi golfpro, can you tell me how to stop the AVG upgrade reminder from popping up. Thanks, Penny

golfpro 11:15 18 Apr 08

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I will stay with the Free version of AVG. I already have ad-aware and reg mechanic, plus the windows firewall (which I can't decide weather its good or not).
Sorry Penny can't help with the removal of the pop-up maybe someone else can give you ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5