AVG Free - No System/task-bar Icon?

Blitzer 12:49 08 Apr 07

I don't know why but over the past coupe of days I've noticed that the icon normally on the taskbar for AVG has not been there when I've started my machine up.

I can't think of anything I've changed on the computer recently other than to keep Zone-Alarm uptodate - this recently upgraded to Version 7 in trial mode for the whole suite - I usually just use the free firewall part of it. I also keep AVG uptodate and got it to do a system scan this morning with no problems. A recent scan with Spybot also found no other problems.

Recently I installed OpenOffice 2.1 then updated it to 2.2, but again I'm sure there were no problems relating to AVG and the taskbar icon.

MAJ 13:01 08 Apr 07

Are you sure it isn't hidden? Right-click on your taskbar, choose Properties > Taskbar tab > Customise button > select the AVG icon and set it to 'Always Show'.

Blitzer 13:30 08 Apr 07

I found that after I posted my message and have set it how you have said. Seems a bit strange how it shoudl suddenly decide that it's not going to be visible despite me using it to opn AVG nearly everyday. :)

Thanks for you post - I'll see how it goes. :)

mocha 13:59 08 Apr 07

I believe ZoneAlarm whole suite includes Anti-Virus, it is definitely not wise to have two Anti-Virus program's running at once, they can cause all types of problems. If it is the case that ZoneAlarm has Anti-Virus built in then for now while you are trialing the product I would turn off AVG.

Blitzer 15:48 08 Apr 07

You are correct about the Zone Alarm suite having anti-virus but I turned this off when instaklling it because I already had AVG up and running - thanks all the same. :)

Blitzer 15:49 08 Apr 07

Hmmm, that just prompted me to check AVG icon was on the task-bar - no sign of it. :(

jam500 16:10 08 Apr 07

My AVG spyware free edition icon has too gone and when i start it up it stays greyed out even when updated.

Blitzer 16:54 08 Apr 07

I seemed to have just fixed this by re-installing Zone-Alarm but this time did not opt for the trial of the suite and just stuck with the free version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced