AVG free edition majorgeeks thinks its

So Afraid 14:59 27 Dec 10

Poor quality as this warning on their site says they have problems with it,others may have no problem.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 27 Dec 10

As per this thread only yesterday click here

alB 15:38 27 Dec 10

I ditched AVG in favour of Avast a while back because of problems I had, shame really as it was IMO the leader in free A/V's at one time ...alB

eedcam 15:53 27 Dec 10

As a programme its fine but it has some stupid quirks 2 days running it said the data base was out of date despite showing it had just updated .I could not manually update just got a general error come up .Looked on the site It says free help for the free avg users and an o800 number My A**s its run by Virgin who waffled on I probably had a virus and it aint free anyway uninstalled /installed and its ok now, so much for the virus, Even the installation was a shambles it said could not install because I had Zone alarm and told me to uninstall that . I ignored that carried on and it came up installation succesful I think they just want to make it awkward so you buy the paid for version

So Afraid 16:56 27 Dec 10

I have moved to comodo CIS firewall and antivirus and for me it works well,the antivirus part is still fairly new compaired to others but i will stick with it for now.

So Afraid 14:43 28 Dec 10

Well from the same link today the warning has gone and all seems fine and dandy or is it.

johndrew 16:17 28 Dec 10

I have had a lot of problems with AVG 2011 in common with others click here. Although AVG have offered possible ways around the difficulties and I have supplied logs to them, the problem persists. All seems well up to and after the re-boot for installation at about 75% installed software (which is surprisingly slow based on other version updates) the process freezes -I have left it for over 2 hours with no progress - and after a further re-boot I am advised my licence is invalid.

Today I tried to update my daughter's laptop with exactly similar results. The problem is one with the update software - and I have tried various methods - but AVG appear unable to resolve it. Their site is full of users complaining of much the same symptoms.

As a result I have loaded MS Essentials onto my daughter's laptop, will recommend the same to my son for my PC. Additionally I shall advise AVG of these actions via the thread I have started on their site. It is very unlikely to do any good but it may help others.

The sad thing is that AVG was a good bit of software but appears to have become overcomplicated. All that is needed for an AV program is to be able to recognise a virus and block/kill it. Avg now has all sorts of additional 'features' which could be (and are) catered for by dedicated stand alone software.

So Afraid 16:56 28 Dec 10

It was the first anti virus prog i used a few years ago and i did like it.

eedcam 18:10 28 Dec 10

Johnandrew try uninstalling and installing that fixed my update problem

Condom 19:02 28 Dec 10

I have just removed the free version of AVG from my wife's Laptop and put in MSE in its place. I had run Malwarebytes on her laptop and it found over 180 files including 2 trojans so it didn't seem to be doing its job. I also ran Malwarebytes on my PC which already uses MSE and it found nothing.

I think MS have a winner on their hands.

johndrew 19:45 28 Dec 10

I have tried updating from the nag screen, downloading and installing over the top, removing and doing a clean install, using the AVG removal tool, manually deleting files (as recommended by AVG) from the Registry after uninstalling plus various other options provided.

The end product is always the same, all seems well up to and after the re-boot for installation at about 75% installed software the process freezes, as I said above. I am then presented with a screen advising me the licence is invalid.

Given the time and effort expended so far, it just is not worth it. There are other AVs which are simpler and don't suffer these types of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now