AVG Free edition coming to an end?

sheila.weston 10:51 08 Nov 06

I have received a message saying that I should upgrade my AVG, as the current edition is ending in January. Looking at the website it appears that the free edition will not be available. Can anyone suggest an alternative free edition that is reliable.

I have just signed up to Tiscali broadband (the 1 mega) and am feeling rather nervous about the security angle. I already have Bit Defender and Xoftspy.

Thanks for any advice.

Sheila

Carpigiani 10:56 08 Nov 06

Don't worry a new free version will be available click here It is just version 7.1 which is coming to an end

johnnyrocker 10:57 08 Nov 06

the free 7.5 is available and continues like the old one did.

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:13 08 Nov 06

There is a huge amount of hype about home computer 'security'. If you have AVG, Win Defender and any old firewall, if you feel it is necessary, oyu will be well protected. Do not open dodgy attachments but more importantly do not accept 'free' offers of registry checks and optimisation checks from the web. AVG free is more than you will ever need.

G

€dstowe 11:14 08 Nov 06

If your message was from AVG it normally contains the link to get the 7.5 Free version (the third of the options offered).

wjrt 11:17 08 Nov 06

click here

7.5 takes over

dfb70uk 11:20 08 Nov 06

I use Avast which is free.Have done for sometime I had the same problem with Avg sisnce I keep seeing you can get it free again, they don't seem to make their minds up.
Regards
David

Totally-braindead 11:33 08 Nov 06

They have never stopped the free edition, its not a matter you can get it for free again. Its just they are stopping version 7.1 and now offer version 7.5 free. I will admit perhaps it wasn't worded too well in that so many thought they were stopping it but its quite clear on the website.
AVG is still free just on version 7.5.

Strawballs 12:07 08 Nov 06
  sheila.weston 14:41 08 Nov 06

Many thanks, all. I am much relieved. I don't know how I missed the thread at click here as I *did* do a search!
Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…