AVG Free Antivirus Startup Problem

wutzy 18:40 30 Dec 04

Hi there-first time visitor looking for a little help with my old Sony Vaio notebook running win98 SE with 64mb ram.
I have just installed AVG7 Free version(well I'm a cheapskate and sick of Nortons prices!) after uninstalling Norton Antivirus -leaving Personal fire wall still on there.
Problem is that when I open the AVG Free icon.I got a missing dll file warning (dciman32.dll).
I found this on the net and tried again ..next time I got "THE DCIMAN32.DLL FILE IS LINKED TO MISSING EXPORT GDI32.DLL:GdiEntry3." -whatever the hell that means. Followed by "C:\ProgramFiles\Grisoft\AVGFree\AVGw.exe
A DEVICE ATTACHED TO THE SYSTEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING"
I found GDI32.DLL,tried slapping that in the Grisoft folder didn't help either.
There were not external devices attahced anyway-but I guess thats just a red herring.

I'd be most grateful if anyone out there gots any ideas!

Thanks
Wutzy

jorel 23:44 30 Dec 04

I had loads of missing file messages and bits that weren't functioning. I also has probs starting my laptop up after installing AVG7, even though I did an uninstall and full reinstall twice. I think that there may be a problem with the download from the site which is causing file corruptions for some people. I suggest you download another free anti virus program such as Kaspersky or Anti Virus Personal Edition temporarily (or check your PC Advisor discs for free Anti Virus software) and wait until Grisoft start distributing AVG7 with computer mags. I'm sure it won't be long before PC ADVISOR have it on their CD/DVD.

Belatucadrus 23:58 30 Dec 04

click here Try avast! instead of AVG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017