avg free anti virus

LAPTOPBABE 22:22 08 Apr 08

My mum has a laptop with vista home premium. 4 people use the computer, on two of those names avg runs fine and updates as it should and the box goes coloured from black and grey. But on her own name and mine avg doesn't update and the box stays black and grey. ZAlso if you click on the desktop icon you get a box comes up with wierdo stuff, which won't go and you have to shut down to het rid of it. I have tried completely unistalling it for her and reinstalling and it is always ok when i leave her house, but when i go back she says it is up to it's old tricks again. Firstly how can it be ok on other people's names and not on 2 others and what can we do to sort it. does anyone know? Byt the way i have it working on my own vista laptop and it is fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:35 08 Apr 08

Firstly how can it be ok on other people's names and not on 2 others

good on admin accounts and no good on limited accounts?

Make sure you and mum are both on admin accounts and reinstall.

LAPTOPBABE 22:38 08 Apr 08

as far as I can remember we are all administrators, but i can check on Thursday.

LAPTOPBABE 22:40 08 Apr 08

I know it sounds daft, i have been racking my brains about it, I am sure though if anyone was set up as administrators me and mum would be as the other 2 which are ok are children.

LAPTOPBABE 22:38 15 Apr 08

Hi Ok I finally got to check and all 4 names set up as administrators. I have deleted and reinstalled twice more from there own web site and still although it is ok just after you install it, very quickly the square goes black and grey etc. and when you try to update it tries to download but just doesn't do anything. It is even worse now as it appears to be a problem on all 4 names this time. Also if you double click on the desktop icon you get a weird box come up with weird stuff written in it about the avg programme with like @ signs all over it, can't describe it really and it won't go off the screen without restarting the computer. All windows updates are up to date and there is no spyware or viruses on the computer. Also Avg is just fine on my similar vista laptop. Can anyone else help please?

LAPTOPBABE 21:57 26 Apr 08

sorted the above probelm now by installing avg free edition 8.0 which has just come out. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5