AVG Free 8.5 Uninstall Failure

K*B 08:35 15 Jun 10

The AVG Free 8.5 antivirus software on my pc has rejected online updates for so long that the software has been far outdated and therefore rendered obsolete. I therefore tried to uninstall it through Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs but uninstall failed with the following failure report details:

Error: Action failed for file avgemc.exe: creating backup....
Error 0x80070002 %DESTINATION% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe.install_backup_1", %SOURCE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe"

Unfortunately, I don't understand this error message so I dont know exactly what to do next to successfully uninstall AVG Free 8.5 from my pc to enable me to go online and make a fresh installation of AVG Free software. Please help me out here. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

birdface 09:17 15 Jun 10

Maybe use AVG removal tool then update to version 9

click here

Sea Urchin 11:23 15 Jun 10

"the software has been far outdated and therefore rendered obsolete"

It is outdated and obsolete - update support was stopped some time back - you should be using Version 9 as buteman says.

Bapou 18:44 15 Jun 10

I'm still using 8.5 and it updates still on a daily basis. So, to say "outdated and obsolete" is wrong.

When first connecting each day to the internet I right click on the icon in system tray and choose Update Now. An Update of varying size soon appears without fail.

Bapou 18:53 15 Jun 10

If the AVG removal tool is not successful there's a little tool called Enditall I used years ago which with one click closes all non essential services, running in the background.

This includes your firewall too, be sure you are working off line. One of these may just be causing some conflict with AVG.

Enditall is still available for free from the Old Seadog click here

Bapou 19:07 15 Jun 10

Apologies, One line should read, "One of these services may just be causing some conflict with AVG removal."

Enditall can ensure a trouble free removal of most programs. It worked for me.

K*B 21:27 15 Jun 10

Thanks friends. I used AVG Remover (32 bit) to successfully uninstall AVG Free 8.5. I then installed AVG Free 9.0 on my pc. Everything is ok now. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…