AVG Firewall Question

boots2 17:45 15 May 06

I have Just bought a Netgear ADSL modem router to replace my old hub, is the firewall in the router good enough to enable me to set the firewall on AVG to trusted, to enable the PCs to connect to each other.

ade.h 20:34 15 May 06

They do different things. So, no, you should keep client firewall permissions as tight as possible without harming functionality.

boots2 10:48 16 May 06

AVG only have Truted & Internet as a choice and with internet chosen the PCs can't share files?

boots2 10:53 16 May 06

Sorry me being thick ,not AVG which is virus but Zone alarm is the problem.

ade.h 16:48 16 May 06

Zonealarm is quite a competent firewall, provided it works for you (which it does for most people). I don't wish to denigrate it, but it has to be said that it is not the most fine-tunable free firewall available.

It has, however, been quite some time since I last tested it, and I have never used it in a network environment. For that, I always use Kerio. Perhaps a ZA expert could advise you how to get the most from it.

shunter02 08:32 17 May 06

Whilst your router has it's own firewall it is always wise to use a software based one as well. Zone Alarm does do a good job, but does have some limitations with the free version.

Norton & McAfee are fine but can try to take things over. Suggest you stick with ZoneAlarm and see how it goes, if you need to upgrade then do so do the fee paying Zone Alarm, i use it and it works very well. In fact best thing i have spent on software in the last year.

Good luck.

mgmcc 09:13 17 May 06

I believe Netgear routers operate in the 192.168.0.xxx IP address range?

Open Zone Alarm, select the Firewall tab on the left and then the Zones tab at the top. Click the "Add" button and select "Subnet". Enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click OK and, back in the main window, click Apply. Close Zone alarm.

This will allow LAN access to all computers in your network with IP addresses between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.254

boots2 10:24 17 May 06

Thanks for the help mgmcc I have added the new subnet on the PCs and the network is working fine.
Thank you also ade.h & shunter02 I will trust the netgear firewall.
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…