AVG Email scanner

ACOLYTE 12:29 30 Aug 05

I made a post about this the other day and it seems i closed it to early,as the same problem has returned,the email scanner is not functioning at boot when i activate it manually it works fine until next boot,even after a restart it still works just from cold boot.
I thought it was sorted when i downloaded the latest update but its still doing it.
I have looked on the AVG site and tried there recommendations,reinstalled/repaired updated still the same,i have looked in the Email scanner options and set to defaults still no luck
so now i am at a loss as what to do.

Skills 12:33 30 Aug 05

Probably not what you want to hear but in my opinion I'd switch to avast its never given me any hassles.

dave_and_confused 12:33 30 Aug 05

Do you use Outlook or Outlook Express?

dave_and_confused 12:34 30 Aug 05

Do you use Outlook or Outlook Express?

Skills 12:35 30 Aug 05

Probably not what you want to hear but in my opinion I'd switch to avast its never given me any hassles.

ACOLYTE 12:42 30 Aug 05

I am using Increadimail been using it about 2 years with AVG and not had this problem before.
I would really like to stick with AVG i like the program and despite its little tantrums now and then i still feel its one of the best out there,and has worked great for me in the past,till now that is.

ACOLYTE 12:44 30 Aug 05

I am using Increadimail been using it about 2 years with AVG and not had this problem before.
I would really like to stick with AVG i like the program and despite its little tantrums now and then i still feel its one of the best out there,and has worked great for me in the past,till now that is.

Rahere 13:01 30 Aug 05

I have had a few problems with email scanner in AVG Free Edition too. I use Outlook 2000 the AVG scanner icon didn't appear in the taskbar on first install (as it used to do in previous versions). I downloaded the latest version then reinstalled AVG and took a little time looking at the options during the installation to make sure the various scanner options were installled - I believe I chose custom or advanced set up.

I suggest that you try this first - be careful to read the set panes as you go or you may miss a vital step.

AVG is pretty good, but with Outlook Express(OE) the email scanner is a different program, it's free standing - mail has to through the seperate email scanner then out whereas Outlook 2000 is built in. It's a bit more complicated to set up if it isn't done automatically. I was less comfortable about earlier verions of this email scanner but it seems a lot better now.

Others have suggested that Avast is good - I haven't used this for a year or more but the interfaces were bizarre and the free version required you to delete viruses it found manually as it found them, very tiring at the time. Hopefully things have changed - any comments?

john-232317 15:23 30 Aug 05

Have you tried this ? click here=

ACOLYTE 17:23 30 Aug 05

I have reinstalled AVG and repaired it as well it works when its done but on a cold boot its off again,dadyassa i haven't tried that no, because when its working my firewall recognises the program and it works ok,and i don't think that the firewall would make it inactive only block it from accessing the net.Could a firewall turn off the scanner?.

Stuartli 18:02 30 Aug 05

Are you using ZoneAlarm?

If so, in certain instances, ZA had to be configured to allow two .exe files in AVG permission to access the Internet.

One of them was something on the lines of avginet.exe but can't remember the second..:-(

I'll try and find a posting I've done in the past about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac