AVG Email checking Good or Bad?

golfpro 08:22 20 Dec 06

I use AVG Free, Has anyone had problems with the email check (incoming/outgoing) in this program, and how many of you have disabled this service. I read somewhere recently that all AV programs that use email checking is not a good thing to have.
Just a thought.

Diemmess 09:10 20 Dec 06

No problems at all

BrianW 09:12 20 Dec 06

no problems at all and it spotted an e-mail with "MyDoom" attached so it works for me :)

Bagsey 09:17 20 Dec 06

<email checking is not a good thing to have.>

Cant understand why?????
Surely emails are the usual source of nasties spreading. AVG has found several for me in emails.

stlucia 13:17 20 Dec 06

The email scanner did cause some problems for me a while back. I can't remember now what they were, but a few others had the same problem and the solution at the time was to disable the scanner.

But for several months now I've been using it with no problems. Maybe an AVG or a Windows OE update has sorted whatever the problem was. It's a good thing to have -- an extra line of defence.

Stuartli 13:28 20 Dec 06

When I used to use AVG some time ago, I had to program ZoneAlarm to grant permission to two AVG files to allow e-mail scanning.

One was on the lines of avginet.exe but can't remember the other particular file's name.

gazmix 13:36 20 Dec 06

I disable the plugin on the AVG mail as i use Mailwasher & they clash, ZA too i think.
You can't have more than 1 email checker, it all goes mad!

jz 20:38 24 Dec 06

I disable the AVG plugin - I've read that it's unnecessary and if it's left enabled, there's a small chance that it can corrupt your old emails. From what I've read, this is true of all AV email plugins, not just the AVG one.

postie24 20:41 24 Dec 06

No problems here

p;3 21:55 24 Dec 06

my avg scanner remains fully functional along with my oe and my mailwasher; if you use that brilliant program a lot of the rubbish can be detected before it can get to your machine and give you untold grief

no way would I disable the avg protection

jz 16:53 25 Dec 06

postie24: no problems so far, but it may be an accident waiting to happen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…