AVG detects Virus in windows\wkalb.dll

MFL 19:34 30 Dec 05

Seem to have picked a batch of viruses on my computer (running windows XP). These appear to have wiped out my restore points - whilst they seem to be there it won't let me restore.

Anyway, I have run spybot and AVG and the latest AVG scan detected nothing. However when I log onto the internet AVG reports a virus detected while opening "C:\windows\wkalb.dll." This is Startpage.21.BI. Whilst I successfully 'heal' it, it is soon detected again. This is after I have turned of System restore, restarted and run AVG again.

Any (not too technical) ideas please.

john-232317 20:25 30 Dec 05

Download click here update and run.
Do you have a firewall running ?

john-232317 20:26 30 Dec 05

What virus is AVG finding ?

GaT7 20:29 30 Dec 05

Also run an AV scan at click here. G

MFL 11:11 31 Dec 05

Thanks for your responses guys (I didn't realise i hah had any at first - I guess they dont generate emails to let you know any more.

Have tried to run the Ewido scanner without success. I don't get the option to say 'yes'. I note that you have to have Active X enabled. I not sure if I do nor how to do so.

So am currently trying the Trend Micro solution - another 3.75 hours to go - It will be worth the wait if it works.

Yes I have a firewall - just the one that came with XP or one of its service packs. Seems to be working cos I had to give permission for Trend Micro to cross it.

The virus reported by AVG is Trojan Horse Startpage.21.BI. As I said AVG reports that it has healed it succcessfully but it reappears. I also the option of deleting or moving the file to vault but don't know if the file c\Windows\wkalb.dll is important. In any case would it reappear again?

MFL 11:13 31 Dec 05

Just noticed that the email notification is an option - which is deselected by default!

GaT7 14:05 31 Dec 05

Can't find a single reference to wkalb.dll anywhere. I'm on WinXP Pro & there's no such file on my PC. Does it show up in a Windows search? Let AVG send it to the vault & reboot.

"another 3.75 hours to go" - why so long may I ask? G

MFL 16:31 31 Dec 05

Why so long? I don't know I just assumed thats how long it takes. The little clock on the left hand side started by saying something like 6 days then settled down to about 5 hours. Anyway half-way through IE encountered a problem and shut down. So started again, this time (according to my daughter who was watching it at the time) it got as far as reporting a number of problems but then IE encountered a problem and shut down again. Now every time I try to start again it closes IE straight away.

Have moved the file windows\wkalb.dll to the virus vault but it keeps coming back.

My home page keeps resetting to blank.

From time to time I get balloons down the bottom left of the screen warning me that my virus status is 'bad' but I think these are spurious.

Wish I could get the Ewido think to work!

PaulB2005 16:36 31 Dec 05

First run, update and enable the protetion with SpywareBlaster click here first. Then reboot.

Then I would run

AdAware - click here

SpyBot - click here Use the Immunise feature here too.

MS AS - click here

john-232317 16:41 31 Dec 05

Cant find anything on that dll anywhere either.

I dont think you wanna heal it, thats why its returning, put it in the vault then delete it after a while.

john-232317 16:45 31 Dec 05

Open Ewido and press scanner button

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…