AVG Database Update

tooter 17:16 06 Jan 05

I have upgraded to AVG 7.0 the only way to update the database is to go to the Grisoft web site, down load the updates to the Grisoft folder, select the AVG icon on the task bar, select Update Manager select Update and browse for the updates I placed in the Grisoft folder.
Is this the right way to update or am I missing something and there is an easer way? In version 6.0 I just pressed update and magic it was done without all this fiddling about.

palinka 17:24 06 Jan 05

Sounds odd; in times past one had occasionally to go through this roundabout process with AVG6, but not yet happened with AVG7.
Presumably when you open AVG7 you see a window with 3 main sections "Scan computer"; Scan selected areas" and "Check for updates". The normal thing is to click on Check for updates (even easier than with the old version).
If you haven't got that window maybe something went astray during the installation; I don't have the technical expertise to advise; If it were me I'd uninstall completely and reinstall.

john-232317 17:28 06 Jan 05

just got an auto update now

Diemmess 18:01 06 Jan 05

It was a bit weird a day or so ago but have just updated by -

Right click on AVG in taskbar and select launch Control Centre.

Select the 3rd major button on the left - Check for Updates.

Being already online the rest followed automatically.

tooter 18:15 06 Jan 05

If in AVG Control Centre/ Update Manager I select Automatic Update AVG Free Edition Update, a section at the bottom of the Control Centre opens and if I select update a box opens asking me to browse for a file on my hard drive were I think it expects to find the updates, if I had not previous down loaded the files it reports it can not find any updates. If had downloaded the updates it finds them and updates the database.

colberly 18:24 06 Jan 05

You shouldn't need to open update manager. Double click on the AVG icon in the taskbar and then as Diemmess said click on the 3rd button on the left hand side-Check for updates.

tooter 18:24 06 Jan 05

DIEMMESS: I have just tried it your way but it sends me to “browse for a folder” on my hard drive the same places as before.

Diemmess 18:57 06 Jan 05

A pain, but all I can suggest is to uninstall it as completely as you can and reinstall directly from the Grisoft website. Don't try and save it to disk onthe way.

rawprawn 19:34 06 Jan 05

Right click on the System Tray Icon, Click Check for updates, nothing simpler.

VoG II 19:38 06 Jan 05

I don't have AVG on this machine but as mentioned above it should be "dead easy".

There should be an option to download from the AVG site or browse a folder that you've already downloaded to. Select the former.

Taw® 19:38 06 Jan 05

When first installed and updating it gives a check box whether to update from file or from web, with a tick box not to show this again. You may have selected to update from file. try right click avg on taskbar-launch AVG control Centre, select update manager-properties and untick "do not ask for uopdate source. THen do as Diemmess says and a box should appear asking where you want to update from select web

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…