avg crashed pc

morph76 19:18 16 Nov 07

Hello
Slight problem. I have the latest avg free scanner installed on xp. I ran a Scan, left the pc, and when i came back it had crashed. Now the pc is stuck on the safe mode, last good config etc screen, but when i select last known good config, or safe mode, the pc does nothing but give a blank screen. Could somebody give me some ideas pleease !

Kingfisher 19:23 16 Nov 07

hold power buton in for approx 5 secs allow pc to switch off try restarting in safe mode can you access system restore from safe mode, if you can try restoring to an earlier time

morph76 19:27 16 Nov 07

Kingfisher thanks for replying. when i select safe mode, the screen fills with lines of what i think are commands or processes, then it stops and does nothing else. how do i access system restore?

Kingfisher 19:31 16 Nov 07

it takes quite a while for safe mode to load all the drivers, you should then be able to select safe mode from All programs> accessories> system tools> system restore
good luck

Kingfisher 19:33 16 Nov 07

sorry should have said you will be able to select system restore not safe mode from all programs> accessories> system tools> system restore

birdface 20:00 16 Nov 07

Where it stops if you can see last good configuration ,Press that and see if it starts.

morph76 21:54 16 Nov 07

kingfisher ill leave itin safe mode for a while and see what happens, the last line says system32\drivers\mup.sys. buteman thanks for your reply, when i select last good configuration it just stays on a blank screen and nothing happens

p;3 22:04 16 Nov 07

have you yet tried;disconnect from the mains ; leave to rest for maybe 1o minutes; then try to start it up in normal mode? if it is XP it SHOULD be able to sort itself out

of interest, IS AVG 7.5 the only antivirus porgram you have on there?

morph76 22:21 16 Nov 07

p;3 hello.yeah i tried that. was off for an hour there, and now its insafe mode where i said earlier. been sitting for 25 mins now on that drivers line. avg is the only anti virus i have, this is the first time ive had a problem with it

Karakorum 22:57 16 Nov 07

If you can still use Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Task Manager you can open system restore by File> NewTask> Run and insert %SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Or if you can open a command window with Start> Run> CMD and insert it there.

morph76 23:20 16 Nov 07

thanks for the replys everybody.been in safe mode on that line i said earlier for over an hour now, is that to long?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…