AVG Complete Test seriously slows PC

jonmac 08:46 03 May 07

Am I alone in having this problem. Each time AVG Free runs its complete test my PC slows down considerably to the point of being a real pest when I'm trying to work. My PC is a one year old Mesh with a 64 bit dual-core Athlon 4200 processor and 2 Gb RAM. Surely that should hardly flinch when carrying out such a task instead of slowing to a comparative crawl for the 55 minutes it takes to complete?

jack 08:50 03 May 07

Just sit back and let it happen or cancel it and re-run at a more convenient time for you - when you are at lunch say.

Technotiger 09:02 03 May 07

Hi, I also have a fairly high spec with 2Gb RAM etc, but I have my AVG scheduled to do a full check on a daily basis at 2.30am when I am fast asleep :-))

Diemmess 09:04 03 May 07

Just my impression, but I seldom run a complete test these days.
AVG very very occasionally will flash up a warning, but can't remember the last time it did.
It is configured to auto update as and when, usually daily.

I do run a complete test when first installed, and occasionally Spybot and AdAware which find the odd intruder.
I think AVG is good enough to play the sentinal in the background without seeming to collar system rescources.

jonmac 09:10 03 May 07

Thanks for the response guys. 2.30 am is out because I don't leave the PC on all night but mealtime is more practical, although I minimise food breaks to 15 mins or so. But the question still remains, why should such a high spec. PC be partially crippled in this way? I thought dual-core gave the ability to cope easily with with multiple tasks and I don't see virus checking as being a big job requiring so much processing power as to have a noticeable effect on other tasks.

jonmac 09:17 03 May 07

Just noticed your post Diemness. I was under the impression that you couldn't cancel the daily complete check in the free version but I just had a look again and realise now that you can as you say.
Problem solved! I'll still do it manually but when it suits me.
Thank you very much indeed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…