AVG can't remove virus!!!!!

notrom 16:29 11 Aug 03

As recommended by many of you, I have recently started using AVG free virus protection. On doing latest complete virus check, a virus was found, with the following message ‘Infested Object: C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0076427.CPY. Virus name: Trojan Horse BackDoor.Jeemp The Virus cannot be removed from the infected object by healing. The entire infected object must be removed. Click the ‘Move to Virus Vault’ button to safely remove the object.’ I then got the following message: ‘File C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0076427.CPY cannot be removed.
Am in a panic, don’t know what to do! Any suggestions???? - I'm not very technical

spikeychris 16:36 11 Aug 03

No need to panic, just click here and follow the instuctions.

Jester2K II 16:40 11 Aug 03

No the virus is stuck in System Restore folder. Windows protects this folder.

Turn System Restore off, reboot, turn System Restore on again. Rescan with AVG.

Jester2K II 16:40 11 Aug 03

By the way the virus can't get your from the System Restore folder.

notrom 17:57 11 Aug 03

Jester, have followed your advice (I think/hope!)and now the scan is reporting no virus - where did it go?!?! Is that right? Should I do anything more about anything?
SpikeyChris - can a Symantec info/help page have any relevance?

Thanking you both for your prompt responses, hope to green tick v soon!

Terrahawk 18:01 11 Aug 03

if the virus was in system restore by turning it off you deleted the restore points thus deleting the virus now you have turned it back on it should create a new clean restore point

spikeychris 18:50 11 Aug 03

notrom, irrespective of whether you use Norton, AVG, PCcillin or any other AV, the virus/worm, if it gets through will do the same damage. The link I sent you describes how to delete the reg keys it creates.

Jester2K II 07:24 12 Aug 03

spikeychris's page was relevant. However not really in this case. The virus was trapped in System Restore. AVG can detect there but Windows protects it from deletion. As Terrahawk says turning System Restoreoff and then on wipes the System Restore Directory so the virus goes.

Use spikeychris's page to make sure the last bits have gone.

notrom 09:58 12 Aug 03

Sorry about long delay replying - my brain was in a puddle on the floor!

Spikeychris or anyone else: Symantec's instructions to reverse changes the Trojan made, and backing up Windows registry look pretty scary. Is it safe for near techo-moron as myself - seems like deep-water stuff if you're only used to paddling in the shallow end?

Jester2K II 10:00 12 Aug 03

Its simple.

Print the instructions first.

Follow them slowly.

Sacry the first time.

Next time it'll be easier...

notrom 12:02 12 Aug 03

Thanks, Jester and everybody else - never ceases to amaze me, how brilliant this site is. Still, say a little prayer for me, fingers crossed, and, if my machine's still working, I'll come back in three days and let you know if it worked!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…