AVG Auto-update

Pesala 21:26 01 Nov 03

gold47 asked why we have to ask these threads advising of updates for AVG antivirus.

One can configure AVG to check for updates automatically.

From the Program Menu, open AVG control centre. From the Update Manager tab, check the box "Allow scheduled update" update if database is older than 1 day, then set the time when you are usually online. AVG will check for updates daily.

I have noticed that the recent ones have not applied themselves automatically, as they used to do, but they are applied automatically the next time that you run AVG.

Some people don't have always on connections, so they may prefer to check manually.

Lionheart ♥ 21:34 01 Nov 03

I have always on connection, but always do a manual check just in case. Only a matter of a couple of clicks.

Tim1964 22:02 01 Nov 03

I too find that I have to manually update AVG even though I have it checking daily....as Lionheart ♥ said it only takes a sec though but still, very odd.

Stuartli 09:12 02 Nov 03

Strangely, if you read grisoft's instructions about updating, it suggests updating at least once a month.

Yet you can have a period when one or two updates a day appear once or twice a week and others when there are none at all for days.

The one problem with automatic updating is that the system has to be operating on the day and time chosen, otherwise it is a pointless exercise.

One benefit of AVG updates is that their generally small file sizes mean updating is quick and painless, as Tim1964 points out.

Stuartli 09:15 02 Nov 03

You have to restart AVG to update downloaded files.

I usually start the update check, close the AVG window behind and, when the download has finished, relaunch AVG. This starts the updates installation process and no reboot is required on completion.

Pesala 09:24 02 Nov 03

On most previous updates, I recall that AVG used to restart itself automatically to apply the update. That is no longer the case, and one has to apply the update manully. This will happen anyway next time you reboot, assuming that you have AVG set to run on startup. As you say, there is no need to reboot, one can manually run AVG to apply the update.

Stuartli 09:28 02 Nov 03

Just to prove you and me wrong, I've just downloaded Update 330 and...AVG launched automatically to install it.....:-))

The only difference was that I opened the Update panel from the Taskbar rather than the AVG Desktop icon, Service tab and Update.

Pesala 09:37 02 Nov 03

I have it set to run at 7:00 am every day.

Anyway. It is no big deal. I inevitably have to reboot at least two or three times a day. I'm running Windows ME. (>_<)

Wes Tam ;-) 11:43 02 Nov 03

Pesala I normally manually run the update when I first start my PC but because of this thread I left it this morning to update automatically; and lo and behold it updated, and installed, to 330 with no intervention from me.

I too am running ME and never have to reboot :)

Pesala 12:31 02 Nov 03

You're obviously not using the right software. (~_~) I can make Windows ME lock up completely. Try writing files to a dodgy CD-RW disk with Adaptec Direct CD. It works every time.

Stuartli 14:09 02 Nov 03

Whether the updates are done manually or automatically, the main thing is that it is done on a regular basis.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…