Avg antivirus, cannot open files.

rovaman 15:35 01 Mar 03

I have recently downloaded AVG anti virus,the free edition onto my xp home system, and have just noted that after running a complete scan,if i click on "detail info" on the test results page,all files in boot C have the message "cannot open,unchecked!". Has anyone else had this problem?.

Border View 16:35 01 Mar 03

Refresh

rovaman 11:28 02 Mar 03

not sure what you mean by refresh as there is no refresh button available on the AVG control centre screen.I should have mentioned that i have uninstalled and reinstalled this programme about 5 times now as i suspected a fault in the download process,but to no avail!.

-pops- 11:36 02 Mar 03

Refresh means to bring the message to the top again before it disappears into oblivion off the bottom of the page.

I cannot answer your question but I would just be thankful that AVG has found these things. I would be very careful about opening them - you don't know what horrors might be released into you machine.

Brian

SSC 00:00 03 Mar 03

I run AVG and have noticed a similar problem with it being unable to scan the c/documents and settings folders. I have not found a solution to run the scan automatically. What I now do is to go to the unscanned folders and right click, selecting 'scan with AVG option. I have never found any viruses in the unscanned folder, so its not refusing to scan those folders due to something nasty lurking. I presume it is some program quirk or something to do wuth the folder properties that I haven't sussed.

This has only started happening since I have XP. Previous computer with Win 98 worked fine.

I have tried deleting and re-installing AVG with no change.

Bagsey 09:04 03 Mar 03

Yes I have the same messages but it still finds the nasties. two this week. Patch.exe ????
So thank goodnes for AVG. I to am running XP Home

rovaman 21:18 03 Mar 03

thanks to everyone for your advice,and SSC,good idea to manually run AVG on c;\ files ifeel a bit more secure now.I,ll leave this thread open a few days in case any more folks have any input. CHEERS!.

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…