Avg Antivirus

cookie13 18:44 14 Mar 03

had problem after downloading Avg antivirus
windows would not load , thanks to everyone who helped managed to remove program
has anyone else had problems with avg someone told it could be becouse i have cd creator 5 and this can couse conflicts.anyone else heard of this??I am running win 98 se, or could it be becouse I was using norton before I have seen help you have given to arty lady made sure i removed all of it,

Belatucadrus 18:59 14 Mar 03

I've never had any problems with AVG, but I think the most likely problem is a conflict with some remnant of Norton. When anti virus software clashes, the results are usually painfull, and I've heard that Norton doesn't have the cleanest uninstall around.

€dstow 19:00 14 Mar 03

artylady's problem turned out to be due to her computer thinking it was 2002. Check that yours is thinking straight and has the right year!

€d

flecc 19:48 14 Mar 03

I use AVG and Easy CD Creator in three different versions acros three computers and have no trouble.

I have had plenty of trouble with Norton products in the past though.

Have you searched the registry for the Norton references? If not, click Start, Run, type: regedit and click OK.

Then click File/Registry, Export, select All and save a copy of the registry to the desktop for safety.

Then click Edit, Find, enter Norton and click search. When the first reference is found, press the Del key to get rid of it and then press F3 to continue the search. Keep doing that until all references are deleted. You could also do a search for Symantec as well. It's not unusual for a Norton product to have more than a hundred registry references, one reason why I won't touch them.

When done and you're sure all is well, the registry backup should be deleted. If you get a problem, right click the registry backup file and select Merge. The registry will then be returnes to what it was before you touched it.

stumac 19:55 14 Mar 03

Although had no trouble installing Avg I had trouble cleaning my system of Norton and even now cannot remove it from msconfig/startup.Found Avg to be very good so far as it has stopped backdoor trojans on several occasions

stumac 19:55 14 Mar 03

Although had no trouble installing Avg I had trouble cleaning my system of Norton and even now cannot remove it from msconfig/startup.Found Avg to be very good so far as it has stopped backdoor trojans on several occasions

cookie13 13:55 15 Mar 03

thanks flecc i will try that
think i will also give norton a miss from now on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…