AVG Anti Virus Program

suburban train 00:29 26 Jan 03

Just been reading a few threads on AVG Anti Virus is this anti virus program good enough to stop todays viruses or would it be worth buying something like Norton.

Where would i get AVG from cheers

VoG™ 00:32 26 Jan 03

click here

I don't use it myself (McAfee man) but loads on here swear by it.

Forum Editor 00:33 26 Jan 03

because in my experience AVG is as good as any and better than most.

There may well be claims that Brand X stops more viruses than AVG, but it has stood the test of time, and I haven't had a single virus infection since I started using it.

You can get it if you
click here

DieSse 01:06 26 Jan 03

Read the tests for yourself

click here

DieSse 01:09 26 Jan 03

PS - my personal view is that anecdotal evidence (I've never had a virus) is not sufficiently useful, as no one of us ever gets more than a small selection of viruses. I want my AV to keep me safe from the odd chance i might get an unusual virus, and to have a top class heuristic performance, in case a new virus comes my way. that's why I use

click here

Wak 11:48 26 Jan 03

I see that my AVG also uses heuristic support so could you please explain why your nod32.com is better that AVG in that respect???
This is not an arguement, just a simply question in view of your above reply.

DieSse 15:41 26 Jan 03

I have no idea whether the heristic capabilities of NOD are better than AVG - although it was originally developed around heuristics rather than pattern matching. However in independant professional testing, NOD32 has the best detection rate performance on any of the products tested, whereas AVGs performance is particularly poor.

I know that tests are not everything, and only test that particular version at that particular time. However I prefer to entrust myself to something with the best record, rather than something with a very poor record. Simple as that really. See the link for the results.

obbit 16:15 26 Jan 03

wouldn't touch things in yellow boxes. I got AVG and doesn't matter what you have some viruses can turn off anti-virus and firewalls now, until we get another update.

AVG for ever

regards

obbit

DieSse 17:13 26 Jan 03

"doesn't matter what you have some viruses can turn off anti-virus and firewalls now"

They can only do this if they get past the AV programs incoming protection. They shouldn't and they can't, if you are using up-to-date AV programs and the latest pattern updates.

obbit 17:23 26 Jan 03

thanks for that one DieSse.....got ya

obbit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…