AVG Anti-Virus problem (what's going on)!!!???

tinacee1 16:16 27 Jan 06

When running this the message that I have an unknown virus on the computer keeps coming up in the C:Windows\system32\WinPE.exe section that it's checking.
says it is EXPLOIT.WMF aka Trojan Horse IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.FKS

AVG antivirus showed it had removed it this morning at 03.00 a.m. but it is back. HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS. HELP. Thanks.

Tinacee

rômanab 16:26 27 Jan 06

It's not stuck in a restore point is it? You should swith System restore off, re-boot, then scan again, then re -eneble System restore and re-boot again.

See if that works.

rômanab 16:28 27 Jan 06

Dreadfull spelling :o(

Read switch for swith and enable for eneble.

Skyver 16:38 27 Jan 06

Install a good firewall if you're using the built in XP one click here
Download Ewido if you're using XP click here, uncheck the options during installation (`resident scan, auto update I think), update, reboot and disconnect from the net then do a full scan (with Ewido).
Disable System Restore until the scans are done as rômanab suggested.

rômanab 16:45 27 Jan 06

Also, are you up to date with MS updates as this exploit was patched on the 5th Jan.

tinacee1 17:14 27 Jan 06

Thanks for this information- I really appreciate your help.
I looked at MS updates last night but did not know what to do there. I think there were a few options - didn't know what to click into - I am running Windows XP. My son usually did all this stuff for me but he has left home now and Oh boy am I struggling with this technical stuff. How do I get to System Restore etc etc - I am like a five year old with this sort of thing and have to have everything spelt out for me to understand what to do. Sorry!

tinacee1 17:17 27 Jan 06

I had Zonelab but had to exit it everytime I log onto internet. Don't know what I'm doing wrong here also!.Can I run the Eiwido Firewall while this Zonelab is still on my computer - if I decide to download it. Is a firewall different from Anti-virus - Yes I warned you that I was stupid didn't I!

Tinacee

VoG II 17:25 27 Jan 06

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

Skyver 17:26 27 Jan 06

Go to the Windows update site click here- if your PC hasn't been updated for a while there may be some software that will be downloaded and installed before the site will work - After this step you'll get a screen with an Express and a Custom button, click Express and wait a minute or two - any pertinent updates will be displayed, click Install.

Here is how to switch off system restore ;
See `Disabling System Restore` on the following page
click here

Sounds as though Zonealarm was/is wrongly configured;
Ewido is a spyware scanner, it won't interfere with Zonealarm at all. A firewall keeps an eye on network traffic leaving and entering your machine,
anti virus scans the files that are already on it for viruses, a spyware scanner checks for files and un-authorised changes to your system that could modify the way your PC behaves or transmit confidential information to third parties.

tinacee1 17:36 27 Jan 06

Trying that now!Will let you know how I got on.

Tinacee

staples printer cartridge 17:44 27 Jan 06

Hi, I had exactly the same problem/virus. See the thread here:click here , it helped, although I do know how to use system restore etc. BAsically I needed expert help to get rid of it and then I installed service pack 2 and have the firewall i Windows running. I also downloaded all the recommended spyware etc., ran it and now everything is going fine. Hope this helps.
Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…