avg anti virus is it xp compatible ?

grs8653 15:21 12 Aug 03

can anybody tell me if avg anti virus is compatible with windows xp. i am using norton 2002 anti virus at the moment it is telling me that i have no viruses, when i use an online virus checker it tells me that i have viruses. i would appreciate any help.

Djohn 15:22 12 Aug 03

Yep! it works perfectly. j.

Jester2K II 15:22 12 Aug 03

Yes.

Which online scanner?

rawprawn 15:25 12 Aug 03

No problems at all

Belatucadrus 15:27 12 Aug 03

There are four free anti virus options available :-

Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic. Highly recommended.

Grisofts AVG 6.0 click here currently has Virus bulletin 100% click here but pass history not as good as avast. Used to be included on PCA cover disks, so is most common option used here, has equally vociferous supporters and detractors. Current commercial version is AVG 7.0. In my opinion 6.0 is beginning to creak a bit, but still a sound product.

H+BEDVs Antivir click here has never passed the Virus bulletin tests click here but is currently to be seen on PCA cover disks, so may pick up more users. No limitations to functionality and has support via Antivir forum. Not the easiest program to set up, with slow scan and large update downloads. Functional but not my first choice.

Softwins Bitdefender 7.0 click here the standard edition has passed the Virus Bulletin 100% click here but this brings me to the problem with Bitdefender free, avast and AVG have some of the advanced scheduling features pruned, inconvenient but not a real problem. Softwin has chosen to disable Bitdefenders On line access, real time scanning feature. This would appear to significantly reduce the level of protection provided and relegates Bitdefender to a low fourth.

I was going to mention Gladiator Anti virus, but the project has been scrapped, with very little explanation as to why. My reservations about a program without visible means of fiscal support have been proved right, pity really it was interesting to watch the development.

Whatever you do install one of them, doing without some form of anti virus is not an option .

Djohn 15:35 12 Aug 03

Thin "Gladiator" was scrapped because he went to work for another Anti-virus company. Shame really as it was very good. :o(

Andsome 15:36 12 Aug 03

I don't think that Norton 2002 is ideal for XP. You could download and try a trial version of 2003. AV program comparison charts do not generally give the freebies as good a rating as Symantec.

click here

click here

-pops- 16:16 12 Aug 03

If you intend using a different A/V program, make sure you remove your current version of Norton (using the removal procedure on their website).

If you don't do this it is possible (likely) that you will have all sorts of problems. Even upgrading your current 2002 to 2003 version may cause difficulties.

Brian

Andsome 07:40 13 Aug 03

Sound advice, I should have mentioned that.

grs8653 08:19 25 Aug 03

thankyou all for your advice. got rid of norton, downloaded avg done a virus scan, it found 3 viruses that norton did not detect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…