AVG anti-virus

lonemascot 22:24 24 Nov 08

I have recently been having problems with my internet. Whenever I use 'internet explorer' several pop ups open up in new windows. My internet settings are the same as before any problems.
i decided that what i needed was a spyware programme, AVG anti-spyware was what i downloaded of filehippo.com
i then decided to download the AVG anti-virus free edition 8.0.175. however i am having trouble registering the programme and also unable to search for any updates.
I've tried visiting the AVG website in an attempt to download direct from them, but did not succeed.
When i try to update via the AVG user interface it says their is a problem with the connection. even when the connection is completely fine.
please help me get rid off these irritating pop ups that are slowing my Internet and pc.

DieSse 22:35 24 Nov 08

What anti-virus and Anti-Spyware have you been using up to now?

Try an on-line free scan from here

click here

citadel 22:35 24 Nov 08

try ccleaner

lonemascot 22:50 24 Nov 08

Ive just done some web browsing. Am i right in saying that i can't get updates for AVG free edition.
up until now i have been using Nortan system works, but that has recently expired.
what is a good anti-virus and anti-spyware package that will protect me from comman threats, and allow safe internet browsing?

DieSse 22:56 24 Nov 08

what is a good anti-virus and anti-spyware package that will protect me from comman threats, and allow safe internet browsing?

eset security suite

click here 30 day free trial

DieSse 22:57 24 Nov 08

"Am i right in saying that i can't get updates for AVG free edition."

No you're not right. AVG free really is free and does update.

However their free version does omit a number of important protections.

DieSse 22:59 24 Nov 08

"up until now i have been using Nortan system works, but that has recently expired."

You MUST uninstall that completely before using a different anti-virus solution.

Did you try the free scan I recommended yet?

With what results?

lonemascot 23:04 24 Nov 08

for some reason i am unable of accessing that site. I think i may have got a corrupt file or virus that i have collected from somewhere that is blocking me from accessing certain sites. this is why i am now asking what package is good so that i can buy one and install it, because my internet is stopping me from accessing new updates and protection for my pc.
thank you for helping so far

lonemascot 23:21 24 Nov 08

i have completely removed the old anti virus, nortan. installed the AVG prgramme fine but i cant gather any updates. the eset website is not opening either, so i am stuck for what to do next.

DieSse 00:33 25 Nov 08

Since the AVG program must be reasonably up to date - try running a complete scan of your system and see what it finds - it will take some time.

Also see if you can do the same with Spybot Search & Destroy.

See you in the morning!

stlucia 07:54 25 Nov 08

As others have said, AVG8 Free does allow you to get updates. But I've been finding recently that it often reports that it can't access the internet or the web site, even though I'm already on line at the time.

People here have told me it's simply due to the popularity of the program causing AVG's servers to be overloaded. Trying to update again a short time later always works for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…