AVG anti rootkit scan shows 9 rootkits!

tristar16 14:11 16 Aug 12

Hi, just ran an AVG anti root kit scan, Result showed 9 rootkits. Can I safely remove them with SOPHOS, or is there a better choice, please?

Regards,

tristar

KremmenUK 14:28 16 Aug 12

Depends on the RootKit. Some of them cannot be automatically removed and if tried can render the PC useless.

The one real nasty at the moment is the 'ZeroAcess' and similarly named ones.

You need an expert to produce a specific one off script for your infection.

tristar16 16:13 16 Aug 12

Thank you for the response. Only problem with TDSSkiller is that it seems to be a vehicle for AOL. I ran the rootkit scan a couple of times more, and results varied from zero to 7 rootkits. It may be picking up 'false positives', or mistakes as I like to call them. :-)

Thanks again for the help, I must just have to face AOL!

onthelimit1 17:24 16 Aug 12

TDSS Killer has nothing to do with AOL. I've used it numerous times with no problem.

tristar16 19:24 16 Aug 12

That's probably true, but under the Kaspersky web page, I had to install the AOL toolbar to download it. It might be different on other sites, I didn't look, I'm afraid.

onthelimit1 22:20 16 Aug 12

Well, from the link given, I was able to download and run TDSS without any reference to AOL!?

tristar16 19:07 17 Aug 12

My apologies to you all! Following onthelimit1's letter I went back to the Kaspersky page and downloaded TDSS with no problem and ran it. (It assured me I had no problems which was nice!) I don't know what page I found before, but there was a definite prompt to load the AOL toolbar. However, I apologise for my mistake and thank you for your patience.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…