AVG advice please

Tenacious Green 17:37 24 Jan 05

I am currently trying to clean and sort out my brother-in-laws computer which is/was heavily infected with viruses/trojans and spyware.

Having got rid of most things, only a few pesty things to remove I am a little stuck on what to do with the large amount of viruses in the virus vault on AVG free. He had not created the suggested backup disk and am wondering whether I can delete any of the viruses or will they have remain in the vault as I am unable to replace/fix any damaged/destroyed or deleted files,etc without the backup disc. I though have never needed to use th back-up disc when permantely deleting viruses from the vault, but due to this unusual large amount I am concerned.

Suggestions on best course of action please.

ACOLYTE 17:42 24 Jan 05

If AVG put the files in the vault and the pc works ok after you can most likly delete them,AVG
will delete them any way in time,if the pc was really bad and has lots of errors a reinstall might be the best option.

zipdrive 17:49 24 Jan 05

Not sure if you have already used these products.

Ad-Aware SE
Spybot
Spywareblaster
Hijackthis
TrojanHunter (30 day trial program)

I use all these to keep my PC clean. Your more than likely find that each program misses something that another one finds.

Tenacious Green 17:55 24 Jan 05

Thanks, I have all those except Trojanhunter and have removed most of the nasty stuff, hijackers etc. Just a little concerned at amount of viruses and whether they can be deleted as It is not the most powerful computer and running on Win ME, which I am not overly familiar with.

I didn't realise AVG removed them after a period of time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…