AVG advice appreciated

Spark6 21:04 06 Dec 04

XP Pro with AVG free version 7.1.285.

I have, somehow, managed to 'lose' the e-mail scanning function in the control centre.

Any, and all, advice on how I can reinstate it greatly appreciated as usual.

I shall be entering the Australian jungle for the next hour or so!

JaßîsFaß ˜ 21:25 06 Dec 04

Have you checked the settings? Open AVG Control Centre > Click on E-mail scanner, then click on Propreties button at the bottom of the Control Centre

Flames999 22:45 06 Dec 04

View ( toolbar ) - Components - E-Mail Scanner

Then hit General Tab and make sure display component is checked.

woodchip 22:58 06 Dec 04

You will also lose AVG dat files at the end of the month, as will no longer be free. Get Avast AV that's Free and better than AVG

Spark6 23:22 06 Dec 04

Thanks to Flames999 I now have e-mail scanner.

JaßîsFaß ˜ I did not have an e-mail scanner to click on!

woodchip - I'll make a note of your advice.

Problem solved.

bluesbrother 23:32 06 Dec 04

AVG are not dumping the free version, just releasing a new version. click here

woodchip 23:38 06 Dec 04

No dat files after end of December for Free version so it as good as useless. click here

Tim1964 00:18 07 Dec 04

From the Grisoft site.

"Please also be advised, that as of December 31st, 2004, database updates and support for older versions of AVG Free Edition will no longer be available. If you are currently using an older version of AVG Free Edition, we encourage you to download the new version of AVG Free Edition by the end of 2004. GRISOFT will notify AVG Free Edition users about the availability of the new AVG Free Edition via the regular update process.

I'd interpret that as No updates for the old version BUT available updates for the new.

Spark6, My version is 7.0.289 (the same as the version in bluesbrothers link). Where did you find the 7.1.285 version?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:47 07 Dec 04

I understand the 7.0.289 refers to the Program version, and the 7.1.0285 is the File version as in the latest virus database update. My File version is now 7.1.0287.

Djohn 18:55 07 Dec 04

That message refers to version 6. Version 7 which we should be on now is new and will continue to update as normal.

Spark6 22:33 07 Dec 04

Although my original request/problem had been resolved by Flames999 I've naturally taken an interest in other responses..

Woodchip - do you consider the free version 'worse than useless'?

Djohn - your opinion please.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…