AVG 8.5 Problems Downloading

Durko 17:05 11 May 09

I'm trying to download AVG 8.5 free version on my pc. I've removed ewido anti-malware as advised below but it just keeps repeating the message below. The only other anti-spyware I still have on the pc is SpywareTerminator.Is that Ewido related in any way?

Setup has detected Ewido anti-spyware or ewido anti-malware installed on your computer. Antispyware protection is now included in AVG. To proceed with installation you will have to uninstall the previous antispyware product first.

Any suggestions?

Durko

Pineman100 17:10 11 May 09

There are probably some remnants of ewido that AVG is detecting.

Try running a registry cleaner such as Ccleaner, and then installing AVG.

click here

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling ewido, then uninstalling it with Revo uninstaller.

click here

Durko 17:12 11 May 09

I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Durko

mfletch 17:13 11 May 09

Install Ewido again then use revo to uninstall it and remove all the bits left behind

Revo download and info click here

mfletch 17:14 11 May 09

Memo/ Must type faster

Sea Urchin 17:19 11 May 09

Or if all else fails

click here

john bunyan 17:22 11 May 09

Not Hijacking this, but I have Superantispyware and Malawarebites with AVG8. Does this mean these have to be ditched if one upgrades to AVG8 - if so I think I will switch to Avast.

Pineman100 17:25 11 May 09

Couldn't say, john bunyan. I'm not an AVG user.

You may have to try it and see.

mfletch 17:30 11 May 09

SAS and MBAM should be OK with AVG 8.5 especially if there the free versions {no real time scanning}

john bunyan 17:32 11 May 09

Thanks - Sorry to intrude, Durko!

Durko 14:07 13 May 09

Apologies for not replying sooner.

I've tried all configurations suggested by everyone and AVG antivirus still reveals the message I described and still will not download.

Yet 3 files from Ewido vs4 remain after running revo uninstaller:
context.dll, engine.dll and a file called guard along with a text file.I can delete the text file but everytime I go to delete the other 3 files it tells me "Access Denied make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use"..

Does this mean anything to you guys?

Durko

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…