AVG 8.0 not updating

gazmix 16:03 05 Jul 08

Hi
I've just installed AVG 8.0 & when i click on Update, it won't update!

I can obviously connect to the net, but i hear there is a problem!! Will it rectify itself in time or is there a way around it?

I hear about manualy downloading updates & then after doing that the 1st time, then it will do it automaticaly!! How do i do this?

Am i safe online until it sorts itself out ?

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 16:07 05 Jul 08

Do you have a firewall blocking it?

Sea Urchin 16:21 05 Jul 08
  gazmix 16:22 05 Jul 08

i have a firewall but its not notifying me of anything!! as it usualy does

my typing has slowed & firefox seems to want to close regularly & asks me if i want to send error report too!! this is since i installed avg

gazmix 16:25 05 Jul 08

i've clicked on update with no browser running or anything else to my knowledge & it still won't update!! FF keeps crashing too

Ditch999 16:40 05 Jul 08

Which version of AVG 8?
Is it the latest one 8.0.138 released on 4th July? click here

gazmix 16:50 05 Jul 08

Hi, no it's version 8.0.135a133 Is that a dodgy version?

I was concerned that having an un-updatable anti virus was leaving my pc vulnerable, so i uninstalled & re-installed my 7.5.524, updated it & ff isn't wanting to close & typing back to speed!!
Worried i may have been attacked whilst without Anti Virus!

Gaz

Ditch999 16:51 05 Jul 08

If 7.5 works then I would stick with it.

gazmix 17:00 05 Jul 08

thats not solving the issue!!, AVG hasn't updated to 8 for the laugh & expects people to download a programme that don't work!!
I want the latest protection & why need it to update!!

Is the version i downloaded a faulty one?, i heard there were some probs!!

What about what skidzy wrote in Sea Urchin's link!, is there a current technical issue??

Gaz

skidzy 17:45 05 Jul 08

Now im unsure how many this has affected but the general idea of this update is to fix some security flaws with AVG 8 and Firefox.

As this update installs,it crashes Firefox (has done so on 3 machines here),the trick is to close down everything and open AVG and manually update.

Three machines with the same problem,all cured by manual installation with nothing open.You may need to reboot the machine and open AVG first and update...do not open any browsers while updating.

benson68 17:56 05 Jul 08

I originally downloaded AVG to a folder on my desktop called "downloads". Every program is downloaded into this.
When I have a problem, I just run the program installation again. With AVG, you'll find a "repair" option. This should solve your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…