AVG 8.0 free - error in loading plugins

TN 17:03 14 Jun 08

Is anyone else having a problem with the new AVG Anti Virus free version 8.0? When I try to reach advanced section of tools I am getting the message ' Error during plugin loading (0xE0018E03)' Google has brought up about 6 questions relating to this but mostly in Japanese or some such language with no obvious answer when translated. All help sincerely appreciated.

Marko797 17:38 14 Jun 08

I have the free AVG 8 and have had no issues at all, although am aware that others have.

Have u tried uninstalling then reinstalling?

Might solve it so maybe worth a try. Plus you won't have to do any further translating:)

TN 18:56 14 Jun 08

I have re-installed it four times and downloaded it three times in case something was missing but with the same result every time. I wonder if this is a ploy to get me to BUY the 8.0 version?? (Sorry about the paronia!)

javaqueen 09:21 15 Jun 08

I'm having the same problem. I get an error when trying to update (Connection with update server failed) and when going to the Advanced section I receive the same error. This has been ongoing for the last 2 weeks.
I have also uninstalled and downloaded the latest version and then reinstalled doesn't fix the problem. Some one had some success with doing a roll back using the System Restore - I don't want to go that way if I can avoid it.

If I don't get a resolution I may move back to Avast although I had problems with that too but several years ago - it's probably ok by now

jaritch 09:33 15 Jun 08

If you are running Vista have you downloaded the windows update that it asks you to during install? I have loaded AVG 8 on loads of computers with no problems apart from one running vista. In my haste in loading I had not taken note of the screen that said about the update.

If this is not relevant to your issue then please ignore.

javaqueen 10:10 15 Jun 08

I'm running XP.

I have a program called CCleaner (goggle it :-) ) It cleans up lost links and registry etc. It's better than anything else I've ever tried and the latest version is QUICK!
I uninstalled AVG 8. Rebooted. Ran CCleaner. Noticed it was going to delete/fix a couple of entries in the registry referring to AVG 7.5 and 8 (amongst many other things).

Reinstalled AVG 8 and it has installed and updated without errors.

Marko797 10:46 15 Jun 08

CCleaner is well known of, and recommended, by members on here. Great programme. Glad the reinstall went well.

I have put free AVG8 on wife's vista laptop without any isues.

TN 11:42 15 Jun 08

Thanks a million Javaqueen - worked a treat and all is running like a well tuned car! I have had C Cleaner on my computer and use it every week or so but never used it in that sequence before. Again thnak you all for your time and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…