AVG 8 won't update

Si_L 13:21 22 Jan 09

I am using a paid for version of AVG 8 (specifically 8.0.200) on MS Vista. Over the last couple of days it has refused to update, I have tried to manually update but again it won't do it. The system overview shows OK for everything except Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.

Thanks in advance for help.

Legolas 13:50 22 Jan 09

I find in lots of cases the best way to sort out these problems is to reinstall the software. I have fiddled about with various apps to correct faults taking ages when a simple reinstall sorted out the problem.

Si_L 13:54 22 Jan 09

Will it effect my license? Ie will I be able to put the same license number back into it?

provider 2 14:00 22 Jan 09

Might be better to use AVG Support. You are paying for this service:

click here

Si_L 14:17 22 Jan 09

Ironically that isn't working at the moment, I just get a blank page when I go to AVG Support. I'll try re-installing it.

Legolas 19:17 22 Jan 09

How did you get on? Did you fix the problem?

Si_L 21:07 22 Jan 09

Ha no I think I made it worse! I uninstalled after writing down my license number, then went to AVG site to reinstall and there was no option to get the paid for version having already got a license, it was either pay for one to get the full version or get the free one. So I downloaded the free version so I could upgrade from there like I did last time, and the free version isn't updating either.

provider 2 21:35 22 Jan 09

Time to try AVG Support again? Perhaps, having entered your licence number, you will be able to explain the circumstances to them, and they will advise you on how to proceed.

click here

(Different page this time.)

Zeppelyn 23:00 22 Jan 09

When I had a similar problem this is where I downloaded the paid version.

click here

Then do this as advised by AVG :-

In order to rectify the reported issue, please proceed as follows:

1. Please navigate to the following folder on your computer:
C:\ProgramData\avg8\

Some folders could be hidden by default Windows settings. It can be
changed in:
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab ->
Show hidden files and folders.
(The location and names could be a little bit different, depending on
the operating system).

2. Please delete the "update" folder located there.

3. Please reboot the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…