AVG 8 (paid version) issues

72search 18:54 15 Jun 08

Hi-I'm looking for some advice about anti virus software. In the past I've used avast & been quite satisfied but more recently received many recommendations to go the extra mile & install a paid version. I consulted 8 different techno-minded friends who gave me such conflicting advice I thought I'd go online for help. I'm using Vista on a brand new machine with 3gb of RAM. I installed NORTON 360 a month ago that caused so many dramas I was advised by those in the know that "everyone knows not to buy Norton! What were you thinking?!" .. I got the same drill about McAfee and a couple of other brands I thought were leaders of the pack..so I opted for a 2 year paid version of AVG8. This prog is telling me I've got a dozen trojans every time I scan & *now* I'm being advised by all my i.t expert mates to give this the flick too. Before I spend another couple of hundred bucks, has anyone got further advice for me? I've just wasted a lot of dough & any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to fork out whatever it takes as long as I get something that *works*! Cheers!

iscanut2 19:10 15 Jun 08

Not much consolation to you, but I have always used paid for AVG, first ver7.5 and now ver 8 ( AV & Firewall) and have never had any problems at all.

72search 19:12 15 Jun 08

Cheers Nuts.. It actually is. I've been looking for confirmation by a user of the paid version that it's worth persisting with. The conflicting reports I've been getting from various 'experts' has made me a bit paranoid. Thanks for your reply.

User-1229748 19:14 15 Jun 08

if you don't mind paying go for eset smart security (nod32)

72search 19:18 15 Jun 08

Thanks for your recommendation smackheadz. I had nod32 on a machine a few years ago & it worked like a dream. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have stuck with them.

User-1229748 19:24 15 Jun 08

you don't really hear a bad word said about nod32

mfletch 19:38 15 Jun 08

Did you remove your old Antivirus programs before installing AVG!!

Where is the location of the detected Trojans

If they are in your system volume this is your system restore points so nothing to worry about unless you do a system restore,

Download and do a full scan with SAS Superantispyware,

SAS free/ click here

mfletch

sinbads 20:31 15 Jun 08

Not a good idea to run two threads this leads to confusion green tick to close one

72search 04:45 16 Jun 08

Cheers chaps.. Really appreciate the help.

jaritch 07:34 16 Jun 08

I have the paid version also. It thinks that Spybot and programs like that are trojans and highlights them every time. As I have the full AVG 8 security suite I uninstalled spbot and have had no issues since.

72search 17:11 16 Jun 08

That explains a big problem.. thanks jaritch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…