AVG 7.5 & Windows 98SE

Peter 11:52 23 May 09

Those of you still using Windows 98SE (and I suspect there are still a few) and AVG 7.5 will have noticed that the Virus database updates for 7.5 stopped two or three weeks ago. Wednesday or Thursday, just gone, an update arrive. It was made up of a Virus database update and an optional programme update.

I took both and the programme now nags me to update to Version 8.5, which would be okay except that Windows 98SE isn't supported by 8.5.

If you still run Windows 98SE, or a similar old version, by all means take the Virus database update, but avoid the programme update.

I suppose the way forward is Avira or Avast.

Peter.

Sea Urchin 12:17 23 May 09

Yes, pointless continuing to run an AV program which is no longer updated.

p;3 20:58 23 May 09

Interesting; question is IS it still updating via the program itself

Can you please tell us what your current program details are?

You will find I think you CANNOT take the update to avg 8.5 but I am curious to know what YOU mean by the nag screan?

Bob The Blob 22:39 23 May 09

Why are you still running on an operating system that is 11 years old?

p;3 09:37 24 May 09

Can you get back to us and tell us if yours is still updating and what your current avg7.5 version is?

You may wish to know that Avast4 Home does support Windows 98se but I still prefer avg7.5
I had wondered if AVG are playing games with us and are now starting updates again on AVG 7.5??

Bob The Blob; how does your comment contribute to this thread ?As you may not know, many of us still do run Windows 98SE ; there is nothing wrong with that and I would like to know how Peter is progressing with the AVG updates

Peter 13:51 24 May 09

Bob The Blob - "Why are you still running on an operating system that is 11 years old?"

Well that's because the computer running it is over 12 years old, originally supplied with Windows 95 OSR1, a 3.6 GB Hard Drive and only 16 Meg (YES MEG!) of RAM. Having been upgraded to its maximum of 256 Meg of RAM and two larger hard drives it regularly runs some very old software and uses some old hardware (a Black Widow scanner) all of which are not suitable for newer versions of Windows. The phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind"!

I'm not a complete Luddite; I do have a newer desktop computer, a five year old machine running Windows XP Pro and a year old netbook running Windows XP, but that wasn't your question was it Bob?

p;3 - In answer to your enquiry the AVG information is :-

AVG Version - 7.5.560, Virus Database Version - 270.12.26/2116, Virus Database Release Date - 15/05/09 06:16.

The "Critical AVG Security Warning" NAG screen appears when AVG is loaded soon after booting the computer and has the options to "Remain Unprotected" or "Install Now" to "Install new AVG Free 8.5 Today". I select "Remain Unprotected" and a few seconds later the same screen re-appears. If I then try "Install new AVG Free 8.5 Today" I am informed that I am not running a suitable version of Windows. Only Windows 2000,XP or Vista are suitable.

I'm not sure that the latest Virus Database download is actually any different from the previous one or just a ploy to install the nag screen. I don't think any further updates will be sent out.

Thanks for the info about Avast4 being suitable for Windows 98SE; I will investigate using it in place of AVG 7.5. Thanks also for the moral support. I tried to answer your's and Bob's replies at about 01:00 this morning, but when I tried the AVG upgrade button it took over my Internet Explorer 6 window and I accidentally lost all that I had typed so far. At that time of the morning I couldn't face retyping it all. This entry is being typed offline, into Notepad, to avoid further problems.

Peter.

john bunyan 14:06 24 May 09

I have similar problem and will be interested to hear how you get on with Avast4 and hopefully a link to it.Perhaps Bob the Blob does not realise that there are many of us using a modern systm alongsie a perfectly servicable older machine that is simply not able to use XP or Vista, but why throw away a working machine used every day when it doesa good job. Many people, like me, are no doubt still on XP and may even bypass Vista when Win7 launches in its final release. That does not make us Luddites.

Peter 14:17 24 May 09

Yes John, I too think there may be quite a few still using XP who will bypass Vista altogether. Perhaps the more frugal requirements of Windows 7 will allow those with more recent XP machines to upgrade to Windows 7, should they so desire.

Peter.

p;3 14:35 24 May 09

As you still have AVG 7.5 installed on your computer (?) can you let us know if it will still update? What happens when you try to update from the undater in the program?
avast 4Home can be found here
click here

apart from the fact that it is protecting my computer I have little good to say about it and far prefer the interface of AVG ; DO let us know IF AVG 7.5 WILL update? Your present virus database is a wee tad out of date!!!!

another issue with this platform is the maxim 'if it aint broke dont try and mend it'; a lot depends on what you want or need your machine for ...............

Peter 16:39 24 May 09

Yes I do realise that my anti-virus is somewhat out of date, but other than for new threats I believe that it is still effective against threats that existed before the latest update. As to if it is still updating or not, as I mentioned earlier, other than the update last week, no updates were available for about the previous three weeks. When I try for an update I am informed that I already have the latest virus signatures.

Yes it does depend what I use my computer for and if necessary I will stop connecting to the Internet and vet all other material via another computer which is running an up to date antivirus programme. I do though sometimes wonder how much of a virus threat there really is and if daily (or more often sometimes) update are actually necessary or just hype by the software industry in general.

Peter.

Peter 16:40 24 May 09

Yes I do realise that my anti-virus is somewhat out of date, but other than for new threats I believe that it is still effective against threats that existed before the latest update. As to if it is still updating or not, as I mentioned earlier, other than the update last week, no updates were available for about the previous three weeks. When I try for an update I am informed that I already have the latest virus signatures.

Yes it does depend what I use my computer for and if necessary I will stop connecting to the Internet and vet all other material via another computer which is running an up to date antivirus programme. I do though sometimes wonder how much of a virus threat there really is and if daily (or more often sometimes) update are actually necessary or just hype by the software industry in general.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…