AVG 7.1 - 7.5

The Brown Rock 23:54 03 Dec 06

With the recommendation of thia forum I have AVG Free installed for a year now and delighted to have it. I'm running Windows `98 and downloaded version 7.5 from `Grisoft` as prompted which took 2.1/2 hours on my `dialup` When it came to installation I received a weird noise with a flag that stated `Unsuccessful`? Is there anything more frustrating I ask? Has anyone got information on what to do now as I don't want a repeat of that noise, and in any event the suspense would kill me
The Brown Rock

Stuartli 23:56 03 Dec 06

Do you have any friends with a BB connection who could download AVG and burn it to disk or put it on a memory card?

Even better get BB as it's as cheap as dialup these days...:-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:08 04 Dec 06

If you want a copy on CD mail me.

G

Technotiger 08:21 04 Dec 06

AVG 7.5 is on the PCA December 2006 Magazine cover disk - or at least it is on the DVD Issue, so I guess it is also on the CD Issue.

The Brown Rock 00:30 05 Dec 06

I neglected to say that I lived in Ireland and do not have a BB to connect to just yet - and not as cheap as dialup where it is possible to connect - depending on use of course. As it happens I have the (DEC) DVD version of PCA but at a glace I don't see AVG FREE on it? I have to be careful with downloads with only 10GB's of HDD now 6 years running.
I can't complain I got it from The National Council for the Blind of Ireland!
I think the forum here is just great with many problems solved in the past. If as `Technotiger` says, it is on the cover disk - then I'm in business
Thanks to all
The Brown Rock

vinnyT 13:39 05 Dec 06

Hi, TBR, on the cd it is under -features -security.

However, it is the 7.1 version, not 7.5 (maybe the 7.5 version is on the dvd, but I don't see why they would put an old version on the cd and the new on the dvd, that would make no sense).

If you can get to a library, they prob have BB and will dload avg for you, prob for a small fee).

Hope this helps.

Technotiger 14:09 05 Dec 06

On the dvd it says 7.3!

The Brown Rock 23:52 05 Dec 06

Grisoft states that the 7.1 version will be discontinued in January. I checked PCA mag and there is nothing in the text that I could find that indicates that they have included the 7.5 version. I contacted Grisoft technical people but due to a very high demand on their product there is a delay in answering queries. If I could be certain that I could successfully install the new version I would have another go at the 2.1/2 hour download; but of course the disk would be a better option.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
The Brown Rock

Technotiger 00:48 06 Dec 06

The latest version *will* still be available as a Free download after 7.1 is discontinued.

The Brown Rock 01:25 04 Jan 07

Ihave made a second attempt at downloading and installing the 7.5 upgrade withhout success. the following details of the failure are as follows:
Local machine installation failed.
Installation
Error: Action failed for file avgctrl.dll: erasing file. Permission denied.
Warning: Action failed for file avgctrl.dll: creating backup. Access is denied. (5)%DESTINATION% = "C\Program Files\Grisoft\AVGFree\avgctrl.dll:installation_ backup" %SOURCE% ="C\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgctrl.dll:
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgctrl. dll: Removing file.
Access is denied. (5)%PATH% ="C\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgctrl.dll"
If I don't get over this hurdle soon I will be in serious trouble as time is running out. Can someone give me the answer to this problem? I have run the 7.1 version withour a hitch. I have requested help from `Grisoft` without reply - were extremely busy due to the demand for their product. I have had everything solved by this forum up to now - I'm very confident.
The Brown Rock

robgf 01:47 04 Jan 07

Hi,
Are you doing a repair install, as you alreay have 7.1 installed?
Update of AVG 7.1 to 7.5

Run the AVG Free Edition 7.5 Setup program
Click "Next >" on the AVG "Welcome!" screen
Click "Accept" on the "License Agreement on Use of an AVG Free Edition" screen
Select "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" screen and click "Next >"
Select "Restart the computer now" (pre-selected by the program automatically) and click "OK" on the "Installation Complete!" screen to restart your computer and complete the installation

Rob. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…