AVG 7: Windows Security Centre says turned off

exdragon 10:58 10 Jan 05

I downloaded v7 when it first came out, and have used it instead of the Windows virus protection without any problems. Then a couple of days ago, I got the message from the Security Centre to say that the computer might be at risk as AVG is turned off. When I check, the message under the Virus Protection section says AVG 7 reports that it is turned off.

According to the Control Centre in AVG, everything is up to date and working. I don't think I ever chose the option in Sec Ctre to say that I have my own AV prog, because if I select that, the heading for Virus Protection reads not monitored, rather than off.

Should I have opted for the 'I've got my own, thanks'? I haven't changed any settings since I first upgraded to AVG, so heaven knows why this message has suddenly appeared. I've got XP and Outlook.

Thanks in advance

mattyc_92 11:30 10 Jan 05

I would change the "alert settings" in it so that it stops it from monitering your anti-virus programs....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 10 Jan 05

Did this happen as you were first booting up the PC?

If security center starts before AVG then it will report AVG as switched off.

exdragon 14:20 10 Jan 05

Seems to be random over the past couple of days: when it first appeared, I check that it was indeed switched on and then rebooted - no problem. It happened a couple of times after that, interspersed with no notification. This morning it was ok, then happened again when I switched on again after going out.

It just seems odd that it should only have begun now when AVG7 has bee out for a while. Do you think I should do as mattyc_92 suggests? I'm a bit concerned that if I do that, I may forget to make sure it is on, and hasn't gone pear shaped on me!

Off to the dentist but will check back for your reply on my (no doubt dribbling) return - thanks!

mattyc_92 14:23 10 Jan 05

Dentist??? I feel sorry for you.....

Anyway, I would only disable the alert if I knew I could trust my Anti-Virus to stay on and remember to turn it back on once I turn it off!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:35 10 Jan 05

Its happening when you first switch on /log on then no problem its the order the programs are loading in Security centre before AVG just ignore.

exdragon 16:42 10 Jan 05

I'll trust AVG, I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…