//some 3rd party need geo

AVG 7 hits buffer overrun and stops scanning

TimCDC 19:58 14 Nov 04

I've recently installed AVG 7 and it appears to be working ok, but when I try to run a complete system scan, it works for about 9 minutes before returning an error:
Buffer overrun detected!
Program: C:/Program Files/grisoft/AVG free/avgwb.dat
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.
I've looked at the AVG forum and although I've found someone else with a similar problem, I haven't found a solution. Can anyone on this forum help us?

TimCDC 21:11 14 Nov 04

Playing about with this a bit more, it appears that the time taken is not significant. If I do a "selected areas scan", I can complete a scan of shared files or of files within other users' accounts without the error; and I can prompt the same error in just 3 minutes if it scans "my documents". so it looks as though it only happens when it scans certain files in my own settings. Does this seem likely?

hugh-265156 23:27 14 Nov 04

im not sure sorry. did this ever happen with the old version of avg?

what version of windows and internet explorer etc are you using just in case it helps and is not an avg problem? is windows up to date? click here

TimCDC 17:20 15 Nov 04

I'm going to see if I can narrow it down to a specific file (for example I wondered if it was having trouble with a particularly large file), and will check for updates (running XP with SP2 and automatic updates so should think its uptodate) and will then post back here.

wawadave 17:50 15 Nov 04

try running it in safe mode incase its some file designed to thwart av scanners.
try online scan to be sure.
a² Free is also a good malware cleaner and can be downloaded from: click here?

Use one of these free on-line scanners (note some spyware,viruses and trojins have been known to disable PC based AV scanners):
click here or click here.

TimCDC 22:16 15 Nov 04

I checked that XP was fully updated, which it was. I then ran Panda active scan (thanks wawadave!) and didn't find any nasties. Similarly, ad-aware, spybot and spyware blaster all working fine. Using the selected scan, I narrowed down the problem to a particular folder - one where I had stored some files that I had deleted using Ashampoo winoptimiser - and have deleted that and no longer have the problem. AVG now runs fine without falling over. Excellent, and thanks for all the help.

The "well partly" is because I have now some rogue folders in "My documents" that I can't delete...that's another thread!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…