AVG 7 Email Scanner & OE6

Zak 18:00 08 Nov 03

Since my Win 98 crashed and rebuilding from Drive Image onto a new hard drive, I am having probs. configuring AVG 7 email scanner.

The Wizard does not automatically detect the pop3 and smtp accounts. I am trying to configure manually via the Wizard. The pop3 seems to work OK but probs with outgoing smtp.

Can any one please let me know what to enter under smtp configuration for user/computer name.

Add I stiil have the old drive with all programs incl Win98 as a slave (now a logical drive configuration and not primary), could this be causing problems?

Peverelli 03:19 09 Nov 03

Not sure if I understand what you're asking. Generally pop and smtp will have the same wording, so it should be

pop3.your_isp.co.uk and

smtp.your_isp.co.uk

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but at least it refreshes your query.

leo49 07:18 09 Nov 03
  Zak 20:58 09 Nov 03

Thanks Leo, that is helpful. Can you please also provide me with the outgoing SMTP highlighted screen shot.

Zak 18:43 10 Nov 03

Refresh

Blott 08:24 28 Nov 03

Zak
Sorry I'm not going to contribute a lot at this satge - just to say I am having the same problems.
After years of no trouble with AVG free and then AVG 6 , I decided to install AVG 7.

I have nothing special in the computer - ordinary single hard drive with Win'98 SE.

However, AVG 7 e-mail scanner has been a nightmare.

Basicqally, it return every email I send , and when trying to receive OE6 comes up with a lotin box, with my details on, but which it refuses to accept.

I'm on about my 15th e-mail correspondence with Grisoft at the moment, and I have lost count of the suggestions and settings they have tried.

I have two symptoms which I think significant in the set-up.

One is that whatever I do in selecting "prsonal e-mail scanner" , when I return to the settings it has reverted to "AVG Outlook Externsion".

The second is that there is an "Apply" button on the bottom right of the settings screen, and this is always greyed out.

I'm a bit occupied this weekend, so won't get around to Grisoft again until Monday - but if anything does come out of it I will post it soonest.

Regards
Blott

Blott 06:39 10 Dec 03

Zak

Yes - I have got the thing running OK (at the moment, anyway).

The solution was a bit drastic - I re-formatted and then installed AVG 7 first thing.

I have been slowly re-installing programmes and seeing if anything affects the AVG but with all now done, it seems to be OK.

I do, however, have a prime suspect, which I don't know if it applies to you - and that is (or was) the Freeserve connection kit.

I have re-installed freeserve from a new disc, and have no doubt the connection kit is included in there somewher, but I now recall that my problems with various things, including AVG, started after I downloaded and installed the connection kit as an add-on.

A second suspect is Zone-Alarm , but this has caused me so many headaches that I am not going to install it again.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards
Blott

Zak 16:31 10 Dec 03

Thanks Blott for your update and I am glad you have now solved your problem.

Your earlier message prompted me to try again and go back to basics when setting up the smtp and pop in AVG E-mail Scanner.

I have now also managed to get it working, basically I did not have the correct entries in AVG and OE 6.

I anyone requires these details, please post and I will provide them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…