AVG 7

steve1ooo 10:44 14 Dec 04

Downloaded and installed AVG 7 last night. Ran the update then did system scan.Results are four infected files with some thing called

Java/ByteVerify
Details given say it is some thing to do with the java virtual machine.
AVg does not remove it to the vrus vault or attempt to heal it,just suggests you look for a fix on microsoft update.How ever a search of microsoft drew a blank.
Have i got a virus or is version 7 buggy?
steve1ooo

hazelnut 11:05 14 Dec 04

AVG7 has many problems since its release. Go to the AVG free forum and have a look for your problem. If you register you will be able to ask for advice.Same as PCA helproom but just for AVG.

ACOLYTE 12:06 14 Dec 04

what java version have you got? there was an update from sun java to version 1.4.2.06 to fix security holes,i to have avg7 and sun java and it doesnt find these files on my scans.

mjojo 13:27 14 Dec 04

If you are running Microsoft Java VM 3810 or higher (or sun java) the byteverify exploit will not affect you. It will still be in your java cache as a zip file. click here deletes it safely. click here, and click here, give info. click here if you are running sun java.

How can I tell what version of the Microsoft VM I'm using?
Here's how to determine the build number you're using:

Select Start, then Run.

On Windows 95, 98, or Me, type "command" (without the quotes). On Windows NT 4.0, 2000, or XP, type "cmd" (again, without the quotes). Hit the enter key.

In the result command box, type "Jview" (without the quotes) and hit the enter key.

In the topmost line of the resulting listing, you should see a version number of the form x.yy.zzzz. The final four digits are the version number

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM) is the security update viewable in your installation history via windows update

steve1ooo 15:20 14 Dec 04

many thanks mjojo problem solved!!

mjojo 17:29 14 Dec 04

You are most welcome. It was a pleasure to give information, rather than requesting it! The PC Advisor forum is the most valuable resource available to me.

Don't forget you might need to disble sys restore/reboot/enable sys restore for a complete clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…