AVG 6 - Free Edition - E-Mail Scanning

MFL 11:40 09 May 04

I Discovered yesterday, through another thread on the forum (E mail 'Important' - is this a virus), that AVG was not scanning my emails because I had not checked the OE5 plugin in box.
(I use OE6)

Having checked the box AVG is now certifying my outgoing mail. It would not appear however to be checking my incoming mail.

After activating the plugin I recieved 2 e-mails containing the Netsky virus which went undetected. I immediately deleted these. In yesterdays thread someone mentioned the same problem and said that when you opened the deleted items file AVG detected the virus - and true enough this was the case.

Anyone got any solution / advice / reassurance?

Pamy 11:48 09 May 04

see earlier thread, AVG does scan incoming mail but you only know when you try to open it and a irus is present.

Pamy

Nosmas 13:28 09 May 04

I think you are probably referring to my post to the thread. On no account should you risk opening an attachment. When you double click on it you should receive a warning message with two 'radio' buttons. The default setting is to 'Save it to disk', which is what I did, and AVG immediately detected it.

As to scanning emails, AVG does scan both incoming and outgoing (provided you have ticked the box to 'Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin' - even though using OE 6). However it only adds a message at the end of OUTGOING emails.

colberly 13:50 09 May 04

In the last few days I have had several e mails with the Netsky attached. It was only when I went to click on each to open them that AVG removed the attachments to the virus vault. This is how it works and from there they were deleted safely.

MFL 17:03 09 May 04

Colberly,
can you clarify did you click on the e-mail to open it or the attachment.

Clicking on the e-mail gives me no warning. I didn't risk clicking on the attachment.

Stuartli 17:28 09 May 04

To go off on a slight tangent, this is another instance of why the Preview Pane in Outlook Express should be permanently disabled (OE>View>disable Preview Pane).

Just one click on an e-mail with Preview Pane enabled can set a virus in motion.

If the Preview Pane is disabled, you then only get a list of e-mails received; you can view a suspicious one safely by right clicking on it, clicking Properties and then reading its General tab details and Message source.

Any doubts and you should Cancel it and, using the Tool bar Delete button, delete it whilst still highlighted; you can delete it again from the Delete folder if you wish to avoid opening it in error in the future.

You still need to ensure that your AV utility checks e-mails but better to be safe than sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…