avg

moorephil 19:00 20 Jan 08

I am using AVG free edition and a latest scan is showing threats,trojan horse VB.CEC.
Will AVG get rid of these for me,if so how.
Any help,
thanks.

MAJ 19:03 20 Jan 08

Has the scan finished yet? If AVG detects a threat it will probably Delete it or move it to it's Virus Vault.

mfletch 19:08 20 Jan 08

Also when they are in your Virus Vault leave them there for a week to make sure your computer is running OK then delete them,

AVG Virus Vault. You can do it selectively: from AVG Virus Vault program-> select files -> right click on the selection -> Delete file(s).

Or you can delete all AVG Virus Vault contents in one go: Open the AVG Control Center program -> right click on AVG Virus Vault component -> choose"Empty vault".

mfletch

moorephil 19:21 20 Jan 08

if the virus is not automatically moved to the virus vault, what then?

mfletch 12:24 21 Jan 08

Try to heal the infected object but if it will not heal move it to the Virus vault,

mfletch

DieSse 12:40 21 Jan 08

I would be amazed that having an AV program, so many problems have been able to get into the system.

Whatever is going on, AVG is clearly not detecting them soon enough.

Totally-braindead 12:47 21 Jan 08

As I'm sure you know DieSse no AV program is 100% efficient, it can't be and since we don't know what moorephil has been doing its a bit harsh to say that AVG is not detecting them soon enough. Would any other AV have found them sooner? Maybe, maybe not.

If you choose to download files from unsafe websites as an example and then just run them then that would get through the anti virus as you have chosen to download them and you have chosen to open and run the files without scanning first etc. I'm not saying this is what moorephil has been doing just giving an example.

User-1229748 12:48 21 Jan 08

nothings full-proof though is it - i keep getting hit by 'malware crush'still now

mfletch 12:48 21 Jan 08

Hi,

I use a few forums and AVG is the main Antivirus program that people using have got infected with,

You don;t see many infections with using Avast as you do with AVG,

Then again I use AVG {only because I got the Pro version free}

A good Antisyware program is also needed,

And common sense,

mfletch

DieSse 12:58 21 Jan 08

I've often (here and elsewhere) recommended NOD32. Now the new Eset Security Suite. click here

It's not free (though there's a free trial). It's proved itself to me over and over agin, for many years. It's also "top dog" in many independant tests.

Many times I've installed it on systems where people have been using other AV programs and amazed them by what it's found - and by the way their system speeds up too.

DieSse 13:02 21 Jan 08

"If you choose to download files from unsafe websites as an example and then just run them then that would get through the anti virus as you have chosen to download them and you have chosen to open and run the files without scanning first etc"

That's rather a sweeping statement, T-B. Good AV programs will be watching your downloads as they are downloaded, and will be monitoring them if you run them. Why do you think you can circumvent an AV program that easily?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…