AVG

Liza 11:28 19 Sep 06

Hello
I have grisoft on my laptop but somehow it does not seem to be active. Not using my laptop for a long time I lost track of what virus protection I have so went to AVG site (thinking that AVG as a whole provided free antivirus defence) so I clicked into the first named downloadHQ.com and they said I could get a lifetime protection if I chose to pay $26.99 so I paid and then saw nothing was happening when I logged into the site I was given an option of several software (which I thought were for free) like spyware, winzip etc but I chose something called Spanish strain. Again nothing was happening but instead my credit card was debited with a further amount making the total to $69.99. I was astonished and asked them for a refund. Has anyone had such an experience? Liza

MichelleC 11:44 19 Sep 06

AVG has got a free edition click here

No, never had probs like this.

gudgulf 11:55 19 Sep 06

I've just typed AVG into Google and got this page click here

If that's what you did and then clicked on the top link you would have been taken to click here

They want you to sign up for a paid for download/technical help site.Not all the software on there is free and if you chose to download a paid for product you will have been billed for that as well as the sign up fee for the download site.

It's hindsight now but you didn't need to sign up and tthat is NOT the AVG home site but a "sponsored" link to a commercial site.The real AVG home site is the third one down "AVG anti virus Home" which would have taken you to the free AVG product without having to sign up for anything.

Make sure you check what you download from the site you signed up for...your original subscription does not cover the cost of the software you download.......I assume that sort of site is legal,but it seems to say the least a dubious practise if not an outright scam.

You don't need to pay to a download site to get free software....please ask for a link from this forum in the future and someone will point you at the correct,truly free source.

johnnyrocker 12:01 19 Sep 06

get you ccard so to reclaim the monies.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 12:01 19 Sep 06

co should be.

johnny.

Liza 14:18 19 Sep 06

Gudgulf, MichelleC and johnnyrocker

Thank you so much. I know now what to do now. Having so much to do (aren't we all!) sometime I just want to get on with it. So it pays to read and so do not be taken for a ride. Cheers, Liza

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now