avg

pat2068 20:01 23 Dec 04

when i scanned with avg it is telling me that the file ntoskrnl.exe has changed could someone please tell me what this means window xp sp1 thanks leo

VoG II 20:04 23 Dec 04
  VoG II 20:05 23 Dec 04

Process File: ntoskrnl.exe

Process File: ntoskrnl.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Boot Up Kernel

Description: ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances Note: ntoskrnl.exe can be altered by the w32.bolzano and variants. If this process appears in WinTasks, please update your virus definations immediatly.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:05 23 Dec 04
  pat2068 20:28 23 Dec 04

i have run avg it is still saying changed but no virus found i have run adaware, cw shredder and spybot but found nothing can you tell me if win tasks is task manager as if it is its not there is there anything else i can do thanks leo

pat2068 00:38 24 Dec 04

please guys help what could have caused this everything is clear thanks leo

Irishman 00:43 24 Dec 04

Try running System File Checker. Start-Run-Type SFC-Click OK, if I remember correctly.

Djohn 00:47 24 Dec 04

Are you turning off system restore before the scan? Some virus/worms/Trojans can hide in system restore so you clean them off but they will reappear from the restore files section of your drive.

You may have done this but just in case. Right click on your My Computer Icon, choose properties/System restore tab and place a tick in the box to turn restore off.

Run AVG again let it clear anything it finds then turn system restore back on again by doing the reverse of above. Re-boot and see if all is OK. Please post back to let us know the results.

pat2068 01:40 24 Dec 04

have truned of systems restore before i scanned with anything after i so it nothing was found but it still says changed thanks leo

pat2068 01:41 24 Dec 04

i am wondering if its abug in avg as my system is running fine leo

Djohn 01:58 24 Dec 04

I have not had personal experience of this particular problem but from checking through on links provided it seems it can be one of two things.

The first suggestion is nearly always to scan for a virus that may be on your system then if it comes up clean it may be due to a corrupt file in the loading sequence of windows.

Type or copy/paste from below into google the word,

ntoskrnl.exe

it will bring up quite a few hits. have a look through them as they all appear to have the same file as you but it gives different problems ranging from no harm at all right through to being unable to load windows.

See if you can see one that is giving the same or similar symptoms as yours and follow the instructions for the cure. If you find the correct one but are unsure of how to follow through then post back with a link to the fix and I or one of the other forum members will help you through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos