avg

phild 22:13 17 Oct 04

could someone please tell me why on several occasions avg has told me i have a virus and to run avg. when i do run it nothing is found. i do switch off my system restore before i do this as i am running windows xp......thanks

VoG II 22:17 17 Oct 04

AVG (and other virus checkers) cannot remove viruses from restore points as these are protected Windows files. When you turn off System Restore you are effectively removing the restore points (together with any viruses) so when you run AVG, nothing is found.

phild 22:18 17 Oct 04

thanks vog ....does this mean i am wrong in turning it off before i run avg

VoG II 22:22 17 Oct 04

Every time that you turn off System Restore you lose all your restore points. So, only turn off System Restore if AVG tells you that it has found a virus in a folder called .... _restore... and cannot quarantine or delete it.

phild 22:24 17 Oct 04

thanks for your help...... is there anything i need to do other than switch back on the system restore

VoG II 22:26 17 Oct 04

Nope, you are all done.

phild 22:27 17 Oct 04

thanks for your time and considerstion..much appreciated....phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…