avg

shuggee 13:52 18 Nov 03

I have a HP Pavillion 9725 PC with Windows XP. I downloaded AVG anti virus but it wouldn't install onto the computer. I had the same problem with Zone Alarm

I have another computer with Windows XP and I had no problems downloading or installing either program.

Can anyone tell me why this is and if there is anything I can do?

Thanks
shugge

powerless 13:54 18 Nov 03

All programs or downloaded ones?

Jester2K II 13:57 18 Nov 03

Any error messages?

plsndrs3 14:01 18 Nov 03

I assume that you have administrator rights on the Pc?

shuggee 14:12 18 Nov 03

Sorry, I obviously didn't give enough information.

My computer has been lying about in a box, not being used for a couple of months. I performed a full system recovery and then tried to download AVG and then, after that didn't work, I tried Zone Alarm. Neither would install, I didn't get any error messages and I do have administrator rights. I am the only user. I did download a trial version of Norton Anti Virus to another computer (I now have the Blaster Worm and can't download anything)put it on a CD and loaded it onto my HP machine without problems. It seems to be just AVG and Zone Alarm that won't install.

Thanks for the help so far.
shuggee

Jester2K II 14:21 18 Nov 03

I wonder if you have another virus that targets either of these programs and terminates them.

Can you give more details on what happenes when the programs don't install?? Does it go through the motions and then no icons install? Are the icons there but they don't work.

Scan the PC with Stinger click here

shuggee 14:30 18 Nov 03

What happened with AVG was, I got the first and second boxes up then the third, which asked for the serial number just dissapeared as I was entering the number. I tried several times as I had saved it on the desktop. This was as far as I was able to get and sometimes it just stopped installing before it got this far. Zone Alarm just wouldn't install at all.

I have scanned the computer with the trial verion of Norton and it says I now have the Blaster Worm but nothing else.

Thanks

shuggee

gold 47 14:49 18 Nov 03

Looks like you will have todo a full format and clean install any trace of Norton Antivirus will conflict with AVG and i would say Zone Alarm would do the same.

Jester2K II 14:51 18 Nov 03

There's a link on here to a program to clean NAV click here

shuggee 15:19 18 Nov 03

Thanks for the advice. Sorry I haven't made myself clear. I tried to install AVG and Zone Alarm before I installed Norton.

Stuartli 15:24 18 Nov 03

I use to use NortonAV and ZoneAlarm together and both worked as they should.

I now use AVG and ZoneAlarm - the situation is exactly the same and, in between, with a switch from Win98SE to XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…