average function in microsoft access

nickonoonoo 23:18 20 Nov 06

Please help! I have been put in charge of assessment at school and I am impressing people with my skills in Access...but i just can't fathom how to find the average or mean functions on a form. please could anybody show me the way to find the average of eg grade1 grade2 grade3 using the =avg function (rather than simple math) perhaps even show me how to include empty grades! Please keep it simple, i have spent hours and hours trying to understand high tech answers and need to be marking work! Thanks

Forum Editor 23:43 20 Nov 06

1. In the Database window, click the table or query on which you want to base the new query and choose Query from the New Object button on the toolbar. Double click any fields in the Field List you will use for the query.
2. To find an average of one value for an entire table, create a query with just that field. Click the Totals button on the toolbar and choose Avg in the Total row.
3. To find an average of one value for a selected set of records, create a select query and choose criteria for which values you want to select. Include the number field in the Query Design grid. Uncheck the show box for all fields except the number field. Click the Totals button on the toolbar and choose Avg in the Total row.
4. To find the average for a group of values, create a query and put the field(s) you will group in a column and the numeric field to average in another column. Click the Totals button on the toolbar and choose Avg in the Total row of the numeric field. The grouping field(s) has Group By in the Total row. This query will not show the detail for each record, just the averages for the groups.
5. Save the query and click the Run button on the toolbar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos