1. In the Database window, click the table or query on which you want to base the new query and choose Query from the New Object button on the toolbar. Double click any fields in the Field List you will use for the query.
2. To find an average of one value for an entire table, create a query with just that field. Click the Totals button on the toolbar and choose Avg in the Total row.
3. To find an average of one value for a selected set of records, create a select query and choose criteria for which values you want to select. Include the number field in the Query Design grid. Uncheck the show box for all fields except the number field. Click the Totals button on the toolbar and choose Avg in the Total row.
4. To find the average for a group of values, create a query and put the field(s) you will group in a column and the numeric field to average in another column. Click the Totals button on the toolbar and choose Avg in the Total row of the numeric field. The grouping field(s) has Group By in the Total row. This query will not show the detail for each record, just the averages for the groups.
5. Save the query and click the Run button on the toolbar.