Avast/AV Issue

collinsc 19:02 10 Oct 09

Hi

Regarding my previous posting below - it appears as the laptop has AVG and also Avast...
The AVG 'resident shield alert' is saying there are potential threats and avast is saying "subscription" expired. I understand from previous posts that you should not have both of these antivirus programs? So what action should i now take?

click here

Thanks

collinsc 19:03 10 Oct 09

Apologies - title should be AVG! Finger slippage...

rdave13 19:19 10 Oct 09

Decide which AV you want to use then if both running select the one you need to uninstall and exit it. See if it has it's own uninstaller in 'all programs'. You should reboot. If you are left with Avast then simply re-register it; click here

mfletch 19:20 10 Oct 09

The best way is to uninstall both then restart the computer and reinstall Avast

You also have to register Avast for free

Avast download and Registration click here

collinsc 15:35 11 Oct 09

hi guys - ok ive uninstalled them both and reinstalled AVG. do i keep windows firewall turned off and just keep AVG running?

tullie 15:44 11 Oct 09

You need a firewall.If you have Vista,that will be ok,.If XP then use vone of the freebies.

tullie 15:46 11 Oct 09

Me finger slipped befor i had finished.Use Vista firewall if thats your operating system,if XP download one of the freebies.AVG is your antivirus,not a firewall.

collinsc 15:47 11 Oct 09

ok, i still have the same error msg:
"this application has failed to start because BHO.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

any suggestions!?

collinsc 15:52 11 Oct 09

he has XP...
so i can use the windows firewall and AVG and that should be ok, i dont need another firewall?

Please see update about bho.dll....

tullie 16:29 11 Oct 09

No,do not use the xp firewall as explained above.

collinsc 16:39 11 Oct 09

ok ta, how about the BHO.DLL error!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac