Avast - Warning - Trojan Horse Blocked

AroundAgain 20 Nov 12

Hi

I'm needing some advice please.

Laptop, running Win Vista, has Avast (Free)

My friend is having warning notices pop up on the Avast pop up, red, warning it had blocked a Trojen Horse. Being concerned, she asked me what this is about and what should she do!!! See here for screen dump of warning - Trojan Horse Blocked

So, I have been over and had a look, taken the screen shot when the warning appeared. I decided it would be best to do a Full Scan (Avast! free) which came up with No Threats Found.

Possibly stupidly, I clicked on 'More Details' and it opened what appeared to the an Avast website, which seemingly is promoting the paid for version. See here for screen shot Avast Web Page

I've tried Google search to find out if this is just scaremongering people into buying the paid for version or is this actually a Trojan that needs removing but I've not found anything about quite this.

Please can someone advise. I'm obviously concerned that she has an something nasty but have no experience with this situation so am a bit out of my depth here.

Thanks, I hope you know how grateful I am of help from you

Cheers

AroundAgain 20 Nov 12

Thanks for this information, dr yes.

Ok, so to get rid of this, what do I need to do, please?

Then, what other (free, hopefully) software would be advised to allow better protection of the laptop? Would MSE perhaps be a better 'all-rounder'? Clearly should have Spybot, Malwarebytes to run regularly but I'm not familiar with other alternatives.

Thank you, guys, I do appreciate your help

Cheers

michaelw 20 Nov 12

Maybe I'm missing something but you don't have to do anything. Avast blocked a threat before it infected the laptop which it does very well. I have the self same message sometimes when it blocks a threat.

Batch 20 Nov 12

I agree with michaelw - Avast is working well and prevented the download of a Trojan. Job Done.

thumbscrew 20 Nov 12

Of course, don't go rushing into deleting, I get these from time to time...the clue is in the info..."Blocked". Do a full scan if it will set your mind at rest and congratulate yourself on installing Avast, one of the best freebies.

lotvic 20 Nov 12

I agree with dr yes, an entry on definitions list for the visicom antiphishing software and the signatures are not encrypted.

Object: h t t p ://.../121118112548-m.zip|121118112548-m.list Infection: JS:ScriptSH-inf[Trj] Process: C:\ProgramData...>visicom_antiphishing.exe

Uninstall visicom if you want to get rid.

lotvic 20 Nov 12

No need to panic, Have a look at the log entries in Avast | Real-Time Shields | File System Shield | Shield log

AroundAgain 20 Nov 12

Hi guys

Thank you all for your advice. Yes, I felt it was possibly not a major disaster! However, obviously needed to be sure.

Yes, I did a full scan and it came up 'No Threats Found'.

Whether the warning is still popping up will be known once the laptop has been used again, so may hear something later today.

In the meantime, I won't panic, lotvic!

Thanks, will post back when I have news or further questions.

Cheers

lotvic 20 Nov 12

I expect it will pop up each time the File System Shield gets to that file in its checking process. When you get chance have a look at the log.

AroundAgain 20 Nov 12

Umm - where do I find the log, please? ... and, once found, what do I do then?

Sorry, but I am really not clued up on this side of things at all [embarrassed grin]

Thanks

lotvic 20 Nov 12

In tray near clock, click on the orange ball with white 'a' | in the left column click on File System Shield | at bottom right click on Shield log

You don't need to do anything, it's just to check that it is the entries in list for C:\ProgramData...>visicom_antiphishing.exe

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message