Avast! v4.6

dms05 07:36 24 Jan 06

I installed Avast v4.6 a few days ago and had problems immediately with the email virus checker. Currently Avast is stopping me receiving any emails. I can send but it insists I authorise my SMTP server (which I didn't have to do with AVG). If I disable the email facility on Avast all is back to normal. Any ideas?

Mikè 08:12 24 Jan 06

What OS and which email client are you using?

dms05 08:17 24 Jan 06

XP Pro SP2 on 1.8GHz Intel Toshiba Laptop
Opera v8.5 browser
Operamail
The same effect happens with Thunderbird. I haven't tried Outlook.

Mikè 08:27 24 Jan 06

Well I'm not on my XP machine at the minute but as far as I recall, Avast uses what they call a transparent proxy (with Outlook anyway) where the mail clients settings don't need changing. Have you tried the Opera forum?

dms05 08:38 24 Jan 06

Avast v4.5 and later should be transparent to all email clients. So I shouldn't and haven't changed anything. In any case Thunderbird shows just the same effect. I've tried Opera and Thunderbird on another email server (GoNuts4free) and I have the same effect. If I turn off the Avast email scanner all is well. So it would seem Avast is the problem

dms05 08:52 24 Jan 06

...and I have to STOP the Avast email scanner, selecting PAUSE doesn't help.

Diodorus Siculus 08:54 24 Jan 06

Somewhere in avast is an option for timeouts for scanning - that may be set too low.

I'm not on my avast machine now so can't check, but have a look.

dms05 09:25 24 Jan 06

Initially the default for timeout was set at 2 seconds! It was one of the first things I changed - it's now set at 240 seconds!

dms05 14:07 24 Jan 06

Can't solve this and 'no email virus scanning protection' isn't acceptable. So it's back to AVG!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…