Avast and Spy Sweeper

micklemouse 09:14 14 Mar 06

I have been using Avast now for a fortnight, no problems, and like the notification tray box saying the virus database has been updated. Very reassuring to know! But since installing Spy Sweeper - one week ago - haven't heard the man's voice, not once. I used to hear it almost every day. Now I see the virus database hasn't been updated since 10/03. Has Spy Sweeper knocked it on the head in some way? I have tried repairing Avast in Add/Remove but still no good.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want viruses sneaking in

Regards Micklemouse

skidzy 09:17 14 Mar 06

Is it possible there is a conflict with a past update Mickle......Why not try Defender from microsoft instead of spysweeper...or maybe try spyware blaster

Defender
Spywareblaster
Both can be found here click here

micklemouse 09:25 14 Mar 06

Thanks skidzy; it's a so-and-so isn't it? Just when you have all the protection that you wanted and using the software you wanted on the computer, problems start. I have paid now for Spy Sweeper and am reluctant to change it but how about if I reinstall both of them and see what happens then? Or maybe like you say, uninstall both of them and only re-install Avast. Might try that. Thanks for your advice tho, I was thinking that might be the problem, dammit.

micklemouse 09:26 14 Mar 06

Correction - you didn't say that last bit, but well you know what I mean lol

skidzy 09:37 14 Mar 06

If you uninstall you paid version of spysweeper,make sure you still have the licience key.

With the power of the internet now,there is no need to be paying for any AV/Firerwalls/Antispyware/Malware etc.There are some very good apps out there and recommended by most on here.

Like you say,Probably a good idea to uninstall both and reinstall.Make sure you find all redundant file paths from your uninstalling.Try this click here then this click here
reboot....and download your programs again.

gudgulf 09:42 14 Mar 06

The latest Avast virus database IS the 10/03 one.............there just hasn't been an update for a few days.

skidzy 09:46 14 Mar 06

Maybe i should checked that out first gudgulf..Lol...silly me. il wake up in a mo :-)

micklemouse 10:00 14 Mar 06

skidzy, yes I still have the license key so that's ok. I know there's good freebies to be had and I have had a fair selection of them on my comp. Even now I have Ewido, Adaware, Avast AOL Spyware Protection (came with AOL 9.) Spy Sweeper is the first I've paid for in many a month and am not keen to dismiss it unless I have to.

Gudgulf, thanks to you too. If that is the latest update then I should be ok. Hope so.

rdave13 10:17 14 Mar 06

To check Avast is up to date right click Avast icon in sys tray click on updating and click on iAVS update and/or program update. Use the close box tab to close not the "x" in the red box.

Belatucadrus 16:16 14 Mar 06

There's a new update today, so it should soon be clear if there are any update problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…