Avast settings help

golfpro 08:06 03 Oct 09

I have just installed Avast free edition. During the install I elected to run a scan on boot-up thinking this was a one off and if it wasn't, I could change it later. I would now like to change this to run a scan manually as and when needed, but I can't find any settings to do this. If it can be changed or cancelled how do I go about it?

BurrWalnut 08:44 03 Oct 09

I’ve stopped using it but if my memory serves me correctly, you can right-click the Avast icon > Program Settings and on the left there are 3 or 4 entries that can be changed.

Stuartli 08:49 03 Oct 09

The first section on the Avast! settings allows the Scan on Boot Up to to Enabled or Disabled by ticking or unticking the box.

golfpro 09:07 03 Oct 09

Done it, not quite right Stuartli but thanks. I did it like this Menu>in the dropdown list click settings> at the bottom is Trouble shooting> tick box which states "Disable rootkit scan on start up".
But it took me quite a while to find the Menu button.

birdface 10:04 03 Oct 09

Make sure that you have plenty time to run it.
The last time I had Avast it took over 3 hours to run the scan and stopped a few times when it found problems and I had to decide what to do with the problems before it started again.
Maybe things have improved now as that was about 4 years ago.
Just one of the reasons that I use AVG now is that you can set it to scan your computer and then it powers down the computer when the scan is finished.So ideal to run it if you are going out anywhere.

Stuartli 10:17 03 Oct 09

Sorry, I was doing it from memory and it's the Test memory line in the Common tab (first tab) I was referring to earlier; this can prove a bind if left Enabled.

Stuartli 10:19 03 Oct 09

Avast! can take quite a while with a thorough scan, but not that long...:-)

golfpro 05:48 04 Oct 09

I'm surprised, when I did my first scan with it, it was very much quicker than my AVG I was using (just over half an hour), AVG took over 1 hour. But I suppose it all depends on how many files and programs etc you have on your computer, I don't have all that many on my net book which I'm running Avast on. Also the initial start up is a lot quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…